High TA help

Jul 26, 2015
Ohio
Okay, it's our first opening of our pool and really first go at balancing since we pretty much closed it up after finishing install at end of season last year. Based on pool store calc our TA is at 180 and ph is 7.8. So, if I understand everything correctly we need to add muratic acid to lower the TA while not letting ph drop below 7.2, is that correct? Also, our chlorine level is at 0.5. Should I get TA lowered before I raise that level or do them at the same time? Help please?

I wouldn't do anything based on pool store results.

Since you're just opening, low chlorine is a pretty safe bet, so add that to the appropriate level for your CYA. But even that CYA reading is suspect if the pool store tested it. Note: if you see "99" listed as the value, it means 100+.

Do you have your own test kit? That's key to getting the water balanced as quickly and cheaply as possible. I've seen countless threads here over the years where the pool store says X is low, and the poster adds X and next week it is too high, or they didn't add anything and next week X is higher than the week before. It's an endless merry-go-round and ultimately, you pay for it.

I was starting to feel like we were on that merry-go-round last week. Add decreaser, add increaser, repeat. What?? So I had sample retested at a different shop and vowed to buy my own kit today. Thank you, I am definitely taking that piece of advice and researching test kits as we speak.

Okay, I think we are finally about there. TA is down to 160, Ph is at 7.6, and chl is at 2. Water is crystal clear ��. Now I have a new problem. These very tiny, almost like skin cells laying on top of water. You can barely see them until they catch the sun, but they are all over the surface of the water. What are these and how do I get rid of them? Have I mentioned how much I love this forum? It has been a life saver.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry Texas, it has been a crazy week. No, I have not had the chance to get the kit yet. I know I need to make this a priority ASAP. In the meantime I have been using a combo of pool store analysis with cheap home test to compare results. Here are current results: ph 7.8, fc 3, ta 120, cya 50. Like I said, pool water is clear (except for the stupid worms I have to vacuum daily with all this rain) and you can barely see these clear flake things all over the surface.

If we were to accept those numbers as accurate, I would recommend increasing your FC to about 5 based on your CYA of 50. Never let the FC drop below 4. Did you happen to get a CH test? It normally doesn't apply to vinyl pools, but in your case with floating particles it may not be a bad idea. Other than that ...........

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.