Adding Solar Heater, Pump Motor size??

getzjd

May 22, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
Hello! I have a +-30,000 IG L shaped pool to which I am adding solar heating. I have 1 1/2 plumbing with 2 skimmers, drain and 5 returns. The heating pads are on a pergola 8 ft away from the pump and about 16' above the pump. I will be dry fitting and plumbing all but the actual connections to the system today.

I currently have an AO Smith b228se 1HP motor that sounds like it is on its last leg. Do you guys think I should I replace it with a USQ1152 1 1/2HP SF 1.1 motor or just stick with the 1hp replacement USQ1102 ? Any advice would be much appreciated.

I have a similar setup using 11 4x12 Techno-Solis panels roof mounted at about the same height and a 1.5 HP Jandy Flo-Pro pump with a clean DE filter I get about 40 GPM through the panels according to my flow meter, which is a bit under the optimal 4.5 GPM per panel that are in the Techno-Solis specs. However I do have a Hayward Perflex style DE filter which seems to add more back-pressure than most other DE filters, however DE filters tend to add more back pressure than sand or cartridge filters. Hopefully this will give you a few data points to make a guess.

Ike

p.s. if you change motors you also need to change impellers if you want more performance out of the pump, just replacing a 1 HP motor with a 1.5 HP motor will just cause the motor to be oversized and output 1 HP of work.

Sorry, I have no idea what that signature was. Updated now :)

- - - Updated - - -

I have a similar setup using 11 4x12 Techno-Solis panels roof mounted at about the same height and a 1.5 HP Jandy Flo-Pro pump with a clean DE filter I get about 40 GPM through the panels according to my flow meter, which is a bit under the optimal 4.5 GPM per panel that are in the Techno-Solis specs. However I do have a Hayward Perflex style DE filter which seems to add more back-pressure than most other DE filters, however DE filters tend to add more back pressure than sand or cartridge filters. Hopefully this will give you a few data points to make a guess.

Ike

p.s. if you change motors you also need to change impellers if you want more performance out of the pump, just replacing a 1 HP motor with a 1.5 HP motor will just cause the motor to be oversized and output 1 HP of work.

Thanks Ike. What impeller would you recommend? SPX2610C or SPX2615C

I run my two story (25') high solar with a 1/2 HP pump so at 16', there would be no issue running it on nearly any pump. I would just keep the impeller size you have now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.