Hello from Chicago

Raptor6408

Gold Supporter
Apr 24, 2016
Lincolnshire, IL
Greetings all,

Great site you have going here. I'm a new pool owner (got it in August) and frankly, at the advice of the prior owners, got myself on the pool store hamster wheel. Long story short, an algae bloom turned into strange advice to shock the pool over and over with dichlor and I ended up learning the hard way about having too much CYA in the pool. Anyway, it's a new season, just opened, and I'm hoping to get this figured out sooner than later, so that I can enjoy my pool over the summer instead of worrying about it like I did towards the end of last year.

Best,
Rich

Welcome! :wave:

If you're sick of the pool store, you're in the right place. I hope you've ordered a proper test kit already. If not...

If your pool is green, get the XL option
Nobody who has purchased a speedstir regrets it. If you can't justify it now, ask for one for Father's Day.
The CYA standard will really help you be confident of your testing. It's a known value, so you just have to find the right combination of light and posture and grip to see 50 in the view tube, and forevermore you'll be able to repeat the test and be certain of your results.

Does this look familiar? Actually, they keep this hidden in the back room.
attachment.php

How about this?
attachment.php