Slamming away....

Herbie

May 22, 2014
Muncie, Indiana
Started the slam process on Tuesday...my cya is 80 and I have 38 as my fc. Cc is .5 I am beginning to see outline of my drain in deep end. Only lost .5 of chlorine over night. My question is do I keep the free chlorine level up by adding more bleach in the morning and night since water is still greenish in deep end and cloudy in shallow? Or should I just give it more time to clear? My guess is to keep adding but didn't want to cause harm to pool by keeping levels so high...thoughts??

Your instinct is correct - keep adding and maintain that SLAM/Shock FC level until you do indeed pass all 3 SLAM criteria. Even when the water starts to look clear, don't stop with any of the SLAM requirements until you pass. Algae is quite resilient and can return if you let-up. Good luck!

It won't cause harm to equipment and liner to keep that high correct?
As far as I understand, as long as your FC and CYA are within normal tolerances for their relationship, there should be no issues.

~Kevin (MN)
13.5k gal, 24' Round AG Vinyl
2HP Waterway Pump, 200sqft Hayward Element Filter
BBB Method & AuquaSmarte Inline Chlorinator, TF-100 Test Kit

Kevin is correct. The CYA in your pool not only protects the FC from the sun, but also serves to protect the pool and swimmers from the effects of chlorine as long as they are balanced together as noted on the Chlorine/CYA Chart (link below). Have a nice day.

Do what you can to improve circulation in the deep end. If you can point a return eyeball down, do it. Open the main drain if you have one. If not, connect the vacuum and tilt in sideways or upside down so it acts as a main drain. You want whatever is suspended in the water into the filter so it can get removed. And don't neglect brushing and those hiding places like inside ladders. Water problems

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.