Flow seems to change on its own?

Dec 8, 2015
Alpharetta, GA
I have a SWG pool, about 30,000 gallons. At the start of the season the pump's motor got fried and it took me about 6 weeks to replace it.

i installed iAquaLink before that, and everything is now working fine.

For the past 2 weeks I have vacuumed, cleaned the cartridge filters, cleaned the Polaris, etc probably ten times. There was a lot of sediment at the bottom of the pool, so it was necessary.

I seem to have a problem where the flow changes during the day on its own. It starts out strong, water spills over the spillway and all looks well. Hours later it turns into a dribble over the spillway and I get a no flow indicator. The contacts on the flow sensor are clean.

I now have the pump at 2500 rpm and I am getting good water movement..

Finally, I have noticed that when the cleaner is on it will choke the water flow. I thought that cleaners with a booster pump were less dependent on rpm of the main pump?

This is somewhat vague, but something just doesn't seem right. I thought you all might have some insights that would be helpful. Any ideas?

Thank you all so much.

Chad, before we assume your issue is mechanically related, would you be able to post a full set of test results from your TF-100 or Taylor K-2006? You'd be surprised how much that helps us. Also, please add your pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post. It will help us later. Thanks!

If I understand your problem correctly, the flow to your pool and spillway is ok when the booster pump is off. If that is the case, the booster pump is diverting water from the spillway circuit to your pool cleaner. The water for the booster pump has to come from somewhere. If it is important to you that the spillway has more water when the cleaner is operating, increase the main pumps speed while cleaning.

Thanks Wasp. I can, but would that cause a no flow condition if the main pump speed is too low for when the booster is on?

Last night I pushed the rpm to 1900, no booster, and the spillway was good. This morning, no changes in settings, and it was trickling over the spillway and I had a no flow condition. I turned off the pump, pushed rpm to 2500 and I am getting good flow and the spillway is fine.

For what it's worth I resolved the problem. The pump now runs around a normal 1200 rpm and all equipment seems to be working well..

There were three issues.

1. Filters just kept getting dirty. Obvious enough, but I cleaned them about 7 times to get a lot of the dirt out of the pool from when the pump broke.

2. I had to reset the flow sensor. This forum was very helpful in locating the daughter board attached to my flow sensor. I pushed the little reset button and it calibrated.

3. The valve for the booster pump line was partially closed.

Amateur issues I am sure, but it was the combination of issues that threw my off.

Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.