Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: dolphin pool robot

1. Back To Top    #1

dolphin pool robot

PB suggested a dolphin robot for our fiberglass 16x35 pool. Said it was the best. Any thoughts? (he's not selling the item to us, just suggested it)
    62,800 Litre IG Vinyl
    Sand Filter
    1HP Super Pump
    Clearwater/Zodiac LM2-24S SWG
    Aquabot Turbo Robot Cleaner
    250K NG Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

check my post under "suction side automatic pool vac for IG pool" below. I have a dolphin by smartpool "two thumbs down"
    However there may be a good robot out there that someone on this site can recommend.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Lots of issues posted here and on the PF about Dolphins. Several have said they really liked the Blue Pearls, Pool Rovers and Blue Diamonds.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Dolphin is garbage. I had two, both failed and customer service is miserable.

The Blue Diamond however is totally different. Works wonderfully and the customer service is excellent.
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

5. Back To Top    #5
    There are many people who are happy with their Dolphins. I love mine. But when you do have a problem it seems to be very difficult to get it solved. That said, I have yet to hear anything bad about the Blue Diamond or Blue Pearl. Of course you have to scale that by the fact that many people have Dolphins and comaratively few people have a Blue Diamond/Pearl.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

I Love my Dolphin
    seems like most everyone on these forums is always putting them down though.

If you want to hear a negative about "Blue", see CarlD's posts on the other forum.
    he liked it but was disappointed that he always has to remove his ladders and if you don't have a rectangular pool, the " Blue" won't clean it according to the manual; (so I hear)

7. Back To Top    #7

I hava a Blue Diamond and a pool that is an irregular shape. Sort of like an artists palette or a grand piano. My BD works like a charm. I did have a problem with it getting cornered at my wedding cake steps, but I got that taken care of. I think a lot of the Blue Pearl users raved about theirs and had pools of all shapes and sizes.
    Buggs

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.

8. Back To Top    #8
    I too was a happy Dolphin customer but the reality is that the Diamond is lighter, cleans better, faster and easier to clean. My Diagnosticc quit in the first year and had it serviced then it worked fine. I gave that to my Dad last year and bought a Dynamic which also worked fine. I opened my pool this year and my Dynamic wouldn't climb the walls and my Dad's Diagnostic worked for 30 seconds and then quit. I emailed Smartpools for a service rep and got an email reply 10 days later with a phone number to call them.......Given the history though I'm lucky I got a reply at all.

This is just my opinion.
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

9. Back To Top    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    There are many people who are happy with their Dolphins. I love mine. But when you do have a problem it seems to be very difficult to get it solved. That said, I have yet to hear anything bad about the Blue Diamond or Blue Pearl. Of course you have to scale that by the fact that many people have Dolphins and comaratively few people have a Blue Diamond/Pearl.
    I also love my Dolphin - am going on the third year with it. So far so good.

One thing I would like to say is that I have taken good care of it - I rinse it with fresh water, keep the bag clean and always check the impeller before putting it in - sometimes the impeller gets stuck and so I loosen it and even spray it with lubricant.

Also, I frequently use a leaf rake or brush instead of just dumping in the Dolphin - so minimize its use.

The thing I love about it, which probably goes for many of the robots, is that when you want the pool REALLY clean right now it does an amazing job - makes it look brand new. And it does not dump all the stuff into the cartridge - would rather clean a Dolphin bag any day than have to pull the cartridge off from one of those Barracuda type things - and we have the Blaster now to clean the cartridge. I think this was the biggest selling point for me to get a robot - is that it is right now very clean and self contained with the mess. And no unslighly cord running all the time. When not in use it goes on its cart.
    SWG - AquaRite
    Dolphin Diagnostic Robot

"Having a pool reminds me of having an aquarium when I was a girl - I love taking care of it and testing it - just don't have fish this time around!"

10. Back To Top    #10

If you want a dolphin and are worried about reliability then just pick it up at Costco where you've got a great return policy. I've had mine for over two years. It works. It cleans effectively. As long as you don't have it in wall climbing mode it can clean the pool relatively quickly. If you do need the waterline cleaned it does a good job.
    16 x 32 IG Vinyl
    Sand Filter