SLAM progress help

So here I was thinking I was doing so good. I started slam on thursday, pool green as can be, definite algae growth. Have been going by the book as far as I can tell. Got my CYA up to 50 during this process (overshot 40 :/)

Did the overnight check last night and lost .5 FCl and had .5 CCL. I thought man I'm there! The water was clearer but still seemed a little, and I mean a LITTLE cloudy, just a hint. So continued through today. This morning at 5:30 had FCL 21, CCL .5.

Went to soccer practice for the kids, checked again at 1pm, FCL 10, CCL 2. uh oh.

Upped it to 20, checked again at 3:30, FCL 20, CCL .5. Seems stable.

Checked again at 7:30 and dang it if it wasn't back down to FCL 10, CCL 3.

Water is very clear. Am I being impatient or do I have something going on? I pumped 330 oz per instructions to 20 so I guess I will keep going. Is this big of a FCL swing normal with the water looking as good as it is?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I got 50 twice but I will recheck. Also failed the overnight test. I went from 28 down to 24 FCL and 2 CCL. I over bleached last night because I had a bit of 8.25 bleach left and used it instead of the 6 I have.

Should I take off return jets? I'm worried about getting in with that much chlorine. I have scrubbed them and can't see any visible signs of algae. I'm really stumped.

Since you can't blame the sun for the overnight loss, there's still something organic in the water. If you can't see it in the pool, and it isn't lurking in the steps since they're gone, then it has to be in the plumbing. How long has it been since you cleaned out the pump strainer and the filter cartridge?

I cleaned the filter out 2 days ago with cartridge cleaner. I also replaced the psi Guage since it was rusted out so was up close and personal with that housing and didn't see anything alarming.

I also have opened the pump and cleaned that filter since I have had vacuum running a lot over past 2 days. Should I disconnect all the hoses and give them a good soak somehow?

Also here is a pic if it helps
0d3e746b42661c5ca00ce3952ce3e4f3.jpg

Maybe it is just the pic, it is hard to tell since there is nothing deep as a reference. But from what I can see, the water can be clearer. Here is the advice Dave gave me on my own SLAM thread:

To end the SLAM, you need to pass three criteria....

1. Your pool water is sparkling and there is no visible algae (dead or alive)
2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less
3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm.

Look at other pools on the forum and you will see you are failing #1....crystal clear water. Run that pump 24/7 and keep SLAMming until you get this...

3p3LHjl.jpg

That's in 7 feet of water. Not bragging, just showing you that it's easy to do with filtration and adequate chlorine.

His advice to me is the same I would give you: KEEP SLAMMING! :cool:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I cleaned the filter out 2 days ago with cartridge cleaner. I also replaced the psi Guage since it was rusted out so was up close and personal with that housing and didn't see anything alarming.

I also have opened the pump and cleaned that filter since I have had vacuum running a lot over past 2 days. Should I disconnect all the hoses and give them a good soak somehow?

Leave the hoses alone. They have plenty of chlorinated water running through them. Disturbing them is just begging for leaks. Since you only started on Thursday, it's a little early to be panicking. Maintain the SLAM. At least make sure there's no gobs of leaves in the pump strainer.

Thanks for the responses all. I definitely do have a leak probably from disturbing the filter housing. So probably going to order new gaskets for all of that. I went from mid skimmer down to third skimmer in 1 day so it is going somewhere.

Pic with depth for reference vacuum on bottom and 4 ft. Definitely not as clear as yours.
261030e5957561d3d003f08ae5bf5bb2.jpg

Thanks for the responses all. I definitely do have a leak probably from disturbing the filter housing. So probably going to order new gaskets for all of that. I went from mid skimmer down to third skimmer in 1 day so it is going somewhere.

Pic with depth for reference vacuum on bottom and 4 ft. Definitely not as clear as yours.
261030e5957561d3d003f08ae5bf5bb2.jpg

Yup, I think that shows you are not quite there yet. Keep slamming and you should be crystal clear in no time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.