does CYA affect FC?

bkfamily1

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 8, 2013
North Canton, OH
Pool is crystal clear, autocover is closed except when I am checking things, zero bather load and I have passed OCLT. FC is up around 16, and I have been bringing the CYA to my target of 40. As I have brought the CYA up over the last week, it seems like adding CYA makes the FC go down a bit. FC was nice and steady, I added CYA to go 5 to 25 over a couple days (in a sock), and FC dropped a couple while I was adding. Once CYA was all dissolved, FC was steady a couple days again. Then when I added CYA again to go 25 to 40, the FC again dropped a couple. Is the CYA tying up FC or something?

No, essentially the CYA has no affect on the measurable FC so what you saw as a drop in your FC is unexplained. I would not be very concerned about it. Are you taking the FAS/DPD test to it's absolute endpoint? (the last drop makes absolutely no more color change and then subtract that drop)

thanks for the reply, Dave - I have not been doing the "extra" drop and subtracting - I will start doing that - and in all honesty, once I am up at high FC levels, I am doing it pretty quickly, so my drop size may not be all that consistent which may contribute to some unexplained variation

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.