Concrete pool -milky water

You get 372 oz if you are using Imperial gallons, and those are Imperial oz as well. Very few pools are measured in Imperial gallons, though I have seen it, especially in Canada. Still, 38,300 Imperial gallons is a very large pool.

I'm still very confused on the #'s I generate and what to do with them using the P Calculator.I did add the 10 L of chlorine I had on hand which by my calculation was 338 oz.The results of my first go at using the calculator says to add 372 OZ. I worked with the kit again and got these #'s:
Chlorine was added earlier today and I also added 40 kilo's of salt.

Maybe i jumped the gun??

FC-9
CC-.5
TC-9.5
AK-90
Calcium-100
CYA-20

A 42' x 20' x 6 (all in feet) pool holds around 38,000 US gallons. You appear to have entered the pool volume in Imperial units. That will give you incorrect results. Set Units to US, enter your pool volume, then switch units to metric and do you calculations in metric. My Pool Calculator will convert the size of the pool from gallons to liters and you can continue on from there.

I haven't read the entire thread, but your CYA level is way too low for a SWG pool. Your CH level is also quite low for a plaster pool.

Yes, oletrout is shocking first, then he'll raise the CYA and then he'll turn on the SWG. His pool is painted, making the CH level not as important. See page 2 for more info.

There have been so many threads lately it's hard for us Mods to read all the posts and remember which pool is which.... :hammer:

:goodjob: to Jason & Ann

Hey oletrout,

Here's what I am getting: I enter 38,000 gallons and then select "metric". Now I get 143,846 L.

Once we get this part figured out (believe me, I could be wrong here, so let's all check it :wink: ) we can calculate what it will take to shock your pool. AFTER the gal/ltr is confirmed, you will need to shock your pool:

1. Test your FC using the FAS/DPD test in the big kit.

2. Take that test # and enter it in the "now" column. Then put "10" in the goal column & hit calculate. What's the answer?

If you'll post your current FC, we'll try to do the calculations with you.

We need to be on the same page with the calculations :lol:

(With .5cc, you could very possiblly be done shocking tonight, if you can do the overnite test.....more on this in a little bit...)

oletrout said:
Thanks Jason

The pool volume I originally estimated at 38300. I entered that in the calculator and then converted to US gal=46000.Then I changed the units to metric and I get 174000 L. Is that what you mean? If so-what's the next step? :-D

No, I don't think so... I agree with Joyce.

With the "units" button set to U.S., enter in 38,300 and then change the units to Metric, and it's automatically converted to litres. Then enter your test results and targets, hit calculate and it will give you the appropriate measures...

Ok- entered the 38300 as US and it says 144981 L.

Entered my test result of 9 that was done just prior to my last post and goal 10

Entered 12% for the liq chlorine I am using and it says add 1165ML or 1.2L.

Am i back on track?

Cannot do anything now until I get the chlorine jugs refilled.

SWG is OFF. Got muriatic,borax and baking soda on hand.

I REALLY appreciate you folks taking the time to assist me. I'm a bit slow to catch on to things and mathematically bankrupt so I hope I don't use up all your patience. :)

Cheers

I await your sage advice :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
oletrout said:
Ok- entered the 38300 as US and it says 144981 L.Yeppers, me too!

Entered my test result of 9 that was done just prior to my last post and goal 10

Entered 12% for the liq chlorine I am using and it says add 1165ML or 1.2L.Me, too! :lol:

Am i back on track?Yep

Cannot do anything now until I get the chlorine jugs refilled. Now you're in trouble :hammer:

SWG is OFF. Got muriatic,borax and baking soda on hand. Good.

I REALLY appreciate you folks taking the time to assist me. I'm a bit slow to catch on to things and mathematically bankrupt so I hope I don't use up all your patience. :)

You're doing great. We have a wonderful crowd of members willing and able to help and we'll have that oasis ready before you know it!

Guess we'll wait for you to get back with the chlorine :wink:

Cheers

I await your sage advice :)

Ok-YIPPEE-I'm on the right track. I got lots of time yet as i did open a bit early this year in anticipation of having to drain,power wash and repaint.

I have my pump currently set to run from 8Am-8PM.How does that sound for this time of year when it's still pretty cool? Could I cut a few hours from that as I do recall seeing here somewhere that it should run a min of 8 Hrs a day?

And to end the day---I'll have chlorine first thing in the AM. Should I go ahead and add the amt that the pool cal recommends. If so what then?

Cheers to you all. :wave:

oletrout said:
Ok-YIPPEE-I'm on the right track. I got lots of time yet as i did open a bit early this year in anticipation of having to drain,power wash and repaint.
Looks like you're getting off pretty easy, huh! :mrgreen:

I have my pump currently set to run from 8Am-8PM.How does that sound for this time of year when it's still pretty cool? Could I cut a few hours from that as I do recall seeing here somewhere that it should run a min of 8 Hrs a day?
What does your water look like? If it is still crystal clear like you said on Monday, then, yes, you would probably be fine with cutting back to 8 hrs. Your water is still pretty cold & you do have CYA & chlorine in it.

And to end the day---I'll have chlorine first thing in the AM. Should I go ahead and add the amt that the pool cal recommends. If so what then?
Yes, you can test FC (using the FAS/DPD test) and add enough chlorine to raise it to shock level of 10. If you are going to be babysitting your pool, you can test a couple times during the day and raise it to shock level each time.

The overnite test:
Tomorrow evening, after the sun is off your pool, bring the pool to shock level again. Wait 30 minutes after adding chlorine and RE-Test to make sure you reached shock level (10). If you did, you are done for the night, if you didn't, then add enough chlorine to reach shock level. (Make sure to leave pump running at least an hour after adding chlorine.)

The following morning before the sun hits your pool, test your FC & CC. If you lose 1ppm FC or less, you have .5 CC or less, and your water is clear & sparkly, then you are done shocking. :lol:

So, make sure you do the overnite test Thursday nite. :mrgreen:

p.s. Pick up a couple extra bottles of chlorine :wink:

Cheers to you all. :wave:

I think I got it right Butterfly.I put in the PC recommended amt this am. Water looked great. The for the rest of the day it stormed like the dickens and filled it with leaves,twigs and grass.Got it all cleaned up and tested the water this evening and it was bang on. I'll test again in the am as directed.

How much do you folks pay for chlorine in SC? I bought some today.12% 10L jugs for 4.99.

Cheers

The following morning before the sun hits your pool, test your FC & CC. If you lose 1ppm FC or less, you have .5 CC or less, and your water is clear & sparkly, then you are done shocking. :lol:

Last nights reading was FC-10 and CC-o.This AM my FC was 7.5 and CC-o. Seems I've lost 2.5PPM overnight? So based on the P Calculator I should add 3.5l. Does this sound right?

I added the salt yesterday and turned it on for a few minutes after getting this AM's test water and then shut it off again.All indicator lights are showing the cell is working and the salt level is GOOD. Should I leave it off until done shocking?

oletrout said:

Last nights reading was FC-10 and CC-o.This AM my FC was 7.5 and CC-o. Seems I've lost 2.5PPM overnight? So based on the P Calculator I should add 3.5l. Does this sound right?

Well, I'm getting 2.9l . Let's see if I'm doing it right: Left Pool Calc set to US and entered gallons. Then I changed PC to Metric, put 7.5 in Now and 10 in goal.

I added the salt yesterday and turned it on for a few minutes after getting this AM's test water and then shut it off again.All indicator lights are showing the cell is working and the salt level is GOOD. Should I leave it off until done shocking?

Yes, leave it off. Your CYA is way too low to run your SWG.

Nevermind, I see where it came from. But, you should use 38,300 gallons :lol:

BTW, you will very soon need to start raising your CYA. Do you have enough on hand to increase to about 60 or 80? If not, put it on your shopping list. :wink:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.