Looking for ideas on raised floor

Mario P

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 9, 2014
Rio Rancho, NM
I have a pool equipmnet room that has dirt floor that always gets wet/muddy when draining filter housing, cleaning basket, etc.

Initially I though about taking out few inches of dirt and replacing it with course rock to facilitate some water holding space/depth and let the gravity do it's thing.

Now I'm thinking that perhaps I should be looking into some sort of raised floor (metal or plastic) system.

The area to be treated is probably 3'x15'.

Here is the best I can come up with not really knowing what I'm looking for: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=Grating

My other searches came up with antislip mats, and yoga mats, etc., which are obviously not what I need.

I'm envisioning forming perimeter of the flooring with with bricks, or angle iron bolted to my stem wall and placing the grates on top of it, creating raised floor where water/dirt can drain into.
If I ever need to get under the floor to remove buildup of dirt, I could simply pick up the grates, shovel some dirt out and replace the grates.

This has to be a common item in pool equipment rooms, indoor gardens, etc., right?

That Trex is good stuff. It's a bit pricey and I would consider plain ole' pressure treated decking board if Trx busts the budget.

Nail it together with some 2x4 "ribs" spaced about 16-20 inches apart and your set for life.

Richard should he still put some rock under it to help with the drainage?

Kim

Rocks won't do anything if the 'deck' is suspended.
The only reason to put rocks would be if I was laying something on top of soil/dirt as it would increase the surface area.

- - - Updated - - -

What you want is commonly called a duckboard. I'd build one out of plastic lumber, like Trex. It won't rot, termites won;t be a problem, spilled acid won't bother it, and no rust.

Thanks Richard. That's a great idea.

I was just in my shed where I have industrial grade racks and some of the shelving I got looks like this:

s-l500.jpg

Wire Deck Mesh New Decking for Pallet Rack Teardrop Heavy Duty Steel New | eBay

I need to measure to see if they would fit, but if they do, I have a local business that sells 2nd hand rack shelving and if I remember correctly, those were $14 each. Couple of 2x6 or 2x8 boards on either side and I can park an elephant on those.

2015-05-30 19.29.13.jpg

I need to take one of those shelves down and walk on it to see if spaces between the metal wire isn't too big. The last thing I want is to trip in there and poke my eye out on one of the pieces of equipment.
I'm not too worry about rust. Living in NM with an outdoor relative humidity of 8%, even if I was to dump gallons of water on this floor everyday, it evaporates so quickly that mold and rust are a non issue.
Shelfs being slippery while wet might be another show stopper.

Darn, I might have just talked myself out of using the metal wire shelves.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.