Low CYA High-ish FC Newbie question

OK....

First test results with my TF-100 Kit in my SWG Vinyl IG pool

I went to Leslie's for the last time (hopefully) on Tuesday the 19th (4 days ago).
THEIR test results:
My FC was 2
My CH was 150 which they said was low.
My CYA was low at 30.

They sold me some Hardness Plus and Liquid Pool Conditioner and I turned up my SWG without really understanding the controls (I'm better now).
Yesterday, my FC was 7.5, CYA 20.
I turned down my SWG to 50%

TODAY'S Test:
Salt 3,600
FC 5.5 CC 0
PH 7.8
CH 500
TA 100
CYA 20
Temp 72

I know that CYA takes a while to correct. But how soon should I be concerned?
I still don't understand the relationship of CYA to FC. I just know the recommended numbers.
With my low CYA (not shown that low on the charts), what should my FC be?
Did my CH Jump mess with the CYA?

The water looks really good.
THANKS

You need to get your CYA in the 70 to 80 range as recommended in Pool School for a SWG then dial your SWG output to where it holds 4 FC. Liquid Conditioner is almost instantaneous-already dissolved! Ph is riding a bit high too as a SWG will automatically keep that going up a bit.

Why did you let Leslie's test it when you have your own kit?

For starters, low CH is not a problem with a vinyl pool. And where you're at now is too high. Which tells me they tested too low or sold you too much. How much did you add?

I'm also skeptical of the CYA readings. How did it go down if you added some of the (expensive) liquid conditioner? It should show up on the test within hours. Certainly within 4 days.

Before you do anything else, repeat all the tests. It probably wouldn't hurt to review the How-to videos. And be sure to repeat the CYA test several times, pouring the sample back and forth between the mixing bottle and the view tube. And really swirl that CH test. Like 30 seconds per drop, til your arm and wrist are sore. A lot of times the color will revert or change with more mixing, so you want to be absolutely certain.

I started reading this forum and ordered my Test kit AFTER tuesday's $160 Leslie's visit :)

I'm using the magnetic stir on the drop tests and did the CH test and the CYA test twice (last night and today at noon).
The CYA test dot doesn't start to fade until 30 and doesn't go away until 20.
I just bought 8lbs of the powder today.

Will watch the videos and test the CYA again before adding it.
THANKS!

I'd settle at it as being 20. Add enough CYA to bring it to 40from an assumed 20 and retest. Test is pretty finicky less than 30 and hard to read.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Please add your pool info to your signature so that we can better help you, more here Pool School - Read This Before You Post.

If you have a de filter or a sand filter don't backwash your filter until the CYA shows up on the test or it could be washed out with the backwash.

Here is how we recommend adding chemicals, including CYA, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Edit: I read back up the thread and see you do have a sig set up. Check your devices to make sure the show sig box is checked.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah....
I didn't read about the sock method until I had already poured it into the skimmer.
Some of the granules got blown out of the skimmer and then a bit went through the system and got shot out of the return jets.
Not too much though.

I'm wondering how long it should take to dissolve in the system.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.