Brick, New Jersey
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Have a 7 year old new to me pool. The pump almost primes 100%, but there's always a little air in it. Sometimes coming out through the returns. He tightened the connections and it's a little better but not 100% like my old pump at my old house. I noticed this connection was leaking, it looks like some kind of ground wire? Anyone know what it is. Can I just unscrew it and is there anything inside to fix? O-ring? TIA

b7ec9d2919f6c8058fbe7ce763294aa4.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

It is wet above this connection. If the water is coming from this temperature sensor I'd imagine the o-ring is bad or maybe they drilled the hole to big. Let us know the outcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. If you are getting air into the pool or failing to prime then it is very doubtful this temp sensor is the problem. This is on the pressure side of the pump so leaks cause water leak but do not introduce air into the system.

2. Your picture does not show a clear leak here so leave the temp sensor alone.

3. What do you mean by "he tightened the connections"?

4. The mast likely source of an air leak is the pump strainer lid. Pool school has a whole section on suction side leaks you should read.

5. You may not have a leak.

So there is a massive leak at the temp sensor. It's not the cause for the air in the pump, i get that, but I re-taped it and it kinda leaks. The pipe is bent and that's the reason.

So the air in the pump, I attached a video. I changed the o-rings for 1 of the 3 actuators that i thought there was a leak. I could hear a suck when I dumped water on it. Helped a little. Also changed the o-ring and pump lid (not the lock ring).

So, got some incense, put it everywhere and for the life of me I couldn't find any leak, and I stink like frat house. There's a little air that still comes in from the return jets, minimal, but there. There still churning are in the pump.

Should I ask the pool guys to do some more testing? Pressure testing or something? Thanks!

----and sorry, he tightened the quick release valve connection just before the pump. He "thought" it was the pressure vac leaking, but i couldnt reproduce the leak or find any. Not sure hes right on that.

e6acf9cb1c9e38b88309ebfaf1c2fb54.jpg

https://vimeo.com/164033157

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I saw another post not too long ago that someone (sorry can't recall who to give credit but it was one of the more senior folks) suggested shaving cream to detect leaks. Lather up the suspected area and looks for any holes being sucked into the foam

I feel dumb. Such an easier way. Use a hose and starting at the bottom of the pump, run water over the outlet drain plug, then the top of the cover, then move to the next pipe joint, then the union. Leaving the water (not a pressure hose, just a nice flow of water) for 20-30 seconds and watching, the pump basket will all the sudden...completely fill. Boom. Its leaking at the union or quick release or whatever you call it. Put the hose over it....bubbles go away. Ugh. This should be in the pool school list. THIS is how you check for air leaks. Thank you everyone! Everyday is a learning day! Now, searching for a video how to open it and change the o-ring lol

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.