my levels are
fc 0
tc .15
cc .15
ta 84
ph 8.6
CH 149
cya 0

I was told when I opened the pool to shock it using 4 bags of shock, so I did but used hth super shock which doesn't have cya and being a newbie I didn't really know anything about it and was going off a friends recommendations. After 2 weeks of constantly adding liquid chlorine 10% and testing it daily using test strips which I know are not that accurate I finally broke down and went to pool store. He told me to add 5 lbs of ph down and 2lbs of stabilizer. Well I had already added almost a pound of stabilizer to the pool and I did read it can take a week to show on test. But do I really need to add 5lbs of ph down ?
I added some last night and according to the test strips my ph is good today around 7.2. Also I am using clorox ph down not sure if that makes a difference and was sold Trichloro 3 in pucks with clairifier and algaecide and told to use 1 puck per week. I know everyone says liquid chlorine is the way to go but can i maybe use this for awhile to finish raising my cya then switch to just bleach? And I was told not to worry about the CH because it wasn't that big of a deal in an AG not sure if that is true or not? Also I just purchased the sand filter and set up and it seems to be losing pressure every few hours but if I backwash it and turn it back on the pressure goes back to around 10.. Dear pool gods please help me I'm literally going insane with this pool. Also not sure how old it is because we purchased the house in Feb and it was already here and halfway filled so I just switched the pumps out because the one here was the original and it was garbage.

Step 1: Please consider getting one of our recommend test kits in Pool School. Only thing worse than pool store testing are test strips. Don't use anything with clarifier in it and we don't recommend algecides either. Gonna be awful hard for your pool to hold any level of FC without at least 30 ppm of CYA. Walmart sells a 4 lb. jug of "conditioner" which is CYA that I'd recommend. Your CH is just fine. Take a deep breath, get a good test kit, and we'll help you fix it. Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

You have to take this one step at a time but your problems are all fixable and we can help you get your pool crystal clear.

The very first thing we'll ask you to do is purchase one of the very good kits we suggest......either the Taylor K-2006 or the TFTestkits TF-100.

The TF-100 would ship Monday and you would have it Tuesday or Wednesday. Everything we teach involves you being able to test the water accurately and these are the only two kits we suggest. You really can't progress until you get the kit on order.

Next, stay out of the pool store. They are selling you things you do not need. I know you are anxious to get your pool fixed but you must stay out of the pool store for us to help you.

Third, put one small jug of clorox in your pool everyday until your kit gets to you......that'll help clear up your pool.

Keep backwashing your filter every time the pressure goes up by 25%. That's really a good sign so keep doing it.....it'll help clear your pool.

So, add clorox once daily, backwash as often as you can and when your kit gets in, post your test results. We'll get your pool fixed up and you will have a troublefree summjer.

Welcome to TFP!

Agreed, a good test kit is the first step to getting your pool under control. I use a TF100 from TFTestkits.net, get the XL option because you will need to SLAM your pool.

While you wait for your test kit here is your home work
Add 30ppm of CYA, aka stabilizer, in a sock (see below), your pool is 11,400 gallons, use Poolmath to calculate dose
Add 1/2 jug of concentrated 8.25% bleach every day, no scent, no splashless, just plain bleach
Scoop out any debris, leaves, etc from the pool
Run the pump 24x7
Backwash your filter when the pressure rises 25% from clean pressure
Brush your pool every day, more if you can

read these
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals tells you what they are and how to add them to your pool
Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain will clear your pool of algae, follow all the steps
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry this is how we maintain pools

ok I won't be able to order the kit until Thursday so just keep putting bleach each day ? and also my pump says to only run a max of 12 hrs so will running it 24/7 hurt it or is that just kinda standard for them to put ? I've also added the cya to it and it does seem to be clearing up I have been getting leaves off the bottom all day I didn't even realize was there until it cleared up some. I do brush usually twice a day usually first thing in the morning and then in the evening when I get off work... thanks everyone and I will get to reading those !!

Good plan! Yes, adding bleach daily for a week until you get your kit is fine. Post a pic of that warning label on the pump, I've never heard that before.

The easiest way to post a pic is to upload it to Photobucket (free), copy the IMG code to the right of the pic and paste it into your post.

Its not a pic on my pump its just in the manual for when i set it up. so I did run it all day yesterday but when I went to bed at 11 I set the timer for 4 hours then cut it back on when I got up at 6:30 so it got some what of a break. I am working on getting a pic now and will upload it

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

also not having to backwash as often so I'm assuming that is a good sign. the pool is still cloudly but I can see more of my steps on the ladder, planning to try to get in it today and vacuum it seems the circulation has pushed everything right to the middle in one nice pile

That is a good sign. I don't think it will hurt your pump to run 24x7 for a couple of weeks while you SLAM. But if you are more comfortable turning it off at night then go for it, that will be OK too. Keep up the good work! :thumleft:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.