Need a 2 week solution

Jul 8, 2007
Montreal
Hope im posting in the right place....

Okay...so I have a 21' AG pool....using regular sand filter and pump.....I'll be going away for 2 weeks to sunny Florida in July :-D
and was thinking of what to do with my pool....close it down and let the water turn green :?:

or is there another solution I could look at in terms of the chlorine....Read about the liquidator but im just looking for a short term solution
...Can anyone recommend an item or some kind of suggestion .......any help is appreciated :)

Two weeks is a long time to leave a pool alone. If there is any way you can get someone to come over every other day and look at the pool that would be much better.

If the weather cooperates, and there aren't any large storms or power failures, you can usually go two weeks with a solar cover, shocking right before you leave, and a trichlor feeder. It helps to have a main drain, as skimmers sometimes get clogged, though the cover will help prevent that.

Welcome back....been gone awhile :wink:

There are few ideas. Do you have an inline chlorinator, or a floater, you could use pucks? Now this assumes that your PH/TA is okay, your CYA is on the low end of the range, and that you don't mind leaving your equipment running and/or on a timer. Do you have a neighbor that could check on things for you? Make sure equipment is running ok, water level good, etc.

2 summers ago I left for 11 days. I shocked the pool the night before, made sure it held in the a.m., left the cover on, pump running on low 24/7. I had a friend with a pool stop by and pour in a small jug of bleach on day 7. I came home to a FC of 4, clear water.

Even if you do go away and return to a green pool, you know how to clear it up, and we can help. Tis up to you. :wink:

Have a great time! :goodjob:

The first time I had to leave my pool, I had somebody stop by every other day and flip the switch on the pump, check the chlorine, and check the chlorinator twice while I was gone. This was before I had a timer. Pump ran and chlorinated for 24 hours, then was off 24 hours. Not optimal, but it worked fine without being a big burden on the person checking it.

Glad to be back :-D

Well...for sure i'll ask someone to come over and check things out...water level etc....

I got everything on a timer and if I go with the trichlor feeder.....are those the ones that you just add pucks inside or the one with the 100$ cartridge :oops: ???
if with pucks....how many can I put inside??

Last thing....can the inline chlorinator be installed while the pool is already full or will I have to empty some water???

Thanks again for the swift replies.... :goodjob:

If you don't already have a chlorinator installed, you can use a floating chlorinator. They work best when you tie them so they stay in the middle of the pool, you don't want them floating against one of the walls.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.