New AG pool build questions

Jul 7, 2013
Hey guys. Life is hectic as usual. Just had our 4th child. We are beach people but we want to have something for my in laws to easily entertain the kids during the week while we are working.

At first we started out looking at in ground. The pools came in at the usual 20-25000 range. The problem was with the additional retaining wall,fence,tree removals and so on we would have been pushing 35-40000. Being a beach family we could not see spending that much on an in ground. I ran some quick numbers and for 20-23000 we can do all the landscaping and get a really nice above ground pool with a big new paver/stamped patio that wr desperately need. Right now our backyard is just grass. No where to put a table.

I went to a few local guys for pricing. We would really like one end of the pool to be deeper so we are leaning towards a 12 x 24 dough boy desert spring. (I think that's the name)

I called a few local dealers to get pricing. Cheapest so far for that pool in the 54" high model is roughly 3,499.00 after 500 dollar coupon

I do not want to buy the equipment from them as I saw right away I can get equipment a lot cheaper using Amazon

So here are my questions and would like some guidance

SWG - yes I know it voids the warranty but I see people still say go for it. We had an intex pool and once we added the SWG to it it was so easy to maintain. In my eyes anyways. Thoughts on the SWG and what size based on that size pool. If against the SWG should I go BBB? Would have to read up on it again. Looking at - Hayward AQ-TROL-RJ

Pump - thinking a hayward 2 speed pump but only because I have seen some threads that say you definitely want a 2 speed pump. Thoughts and what size on the pump - looking at hayward SP15922S

Filter - thinking going sand so it would be a hayward sand filter but again would like recommended size based on this set up. Looking at - Hayward S210T Pro

Timer - thoughts on decent timers for the pump and SWG

Heater - we live in NJ so I think a heater would be a good choice for us. My wife thinks pools are cold in august so I would like her to be able to enjoy it. The heater would be close to the gas meter and close to the pool

I will get some before pictures tomorrow

Thanks guys!

Tom

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The "BBB" method is not opposed to a SWG if that's what you're thinking. We have recommended levels for the use of one in Pool School. Get one rated for at least twice your gallon capacity-less run time and wear and tear. A one horse pump 2 speed will be fine. 250 lb sand filter minimum oughta do ya'.

Thabjs fir the info woody. I really so want a SWG system and doughboy definitely voids the warranty if you do, but I read a lot of people are using them with no issues. I looked into pool factory saltwater pools but you can't dig deep ends with them because of the cross straps

I have an 18x33 oval above ground, and I'm using the pump that you mentioned. I've only had a pool for less than a year now, so I can't speak for long term durability, but I'm happy with it so far. I run it on low speed most of the time, but it still has plenty of power for vacuuming, etc.

Thanks for the info guys. If I am running 2" hard lines do I have to get a filter that has 2" connections? I have read about using 2" piping which is fine by me but when you reduce fmdown to 1 1/2 for the pump and filter does that defeat the purpose?

If you want to use 2" pipe and did not buy a filter yet then I would buy one with the 2" connections. If not reduce your pipe as close to the filter as you can and it will not totally defeat the purpose. I may be wrong but I think most all skimmer boxes and return jets for above ground pools are 1 1/2 connections. So you would have to adapt it at those ends as well. That's why for me I just stayed with the 1 1/2 pipe. 2" is better if your filter and pump are far away from the pool but for close distance 1 1/2 would work just fine. But that's my opinion.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I haven't bought anything yet. Runs to pool will not be long. I'm wondering maybe I could just go 1 1/2. My neighbor has same size pool with 1 1/2 piping and has not had any issues.

Thanns

So so far I had the big tree removed. Had the survey completed, bought the 12 x 24 doughboy desert spring model (paid 4,000 dropped to my garage), bought the hayward 40,000 gallon swg setup and the tft- 100 kit along with the salt water test kit and mixer they sell. The pool price only included the pool itself, skimmer and 25 mil expandable liner but I saved almost a 1,000 dollars on it by shopping multiple doughboy dealers. Guy closest to me could not come close. I have one more installer coming in on Saturday to price the actual install. 1st guy is 3800 for install and 1700 for electrical. Right around what I budgeted so hopefully the second guys comes in cheaper. Both install doughboys

Getting closer!

Congratulations! I have a doughboy with a deep end and I love it. My installer charged $3300 for the install, including deep end and burying it 1/2-way. I know we're in different parts of the country though. Did the second installer come in a little cheaper? Can't wait to see your progress.

So I just picked up the hayward chlorinator with tc15 cell. Any trick to removing the old pipe? Just use heat? Also, will this model control my pump turning on and off. I thought it did.

Thanks

uploadfromtaptalk1463867422350.jpg
37a72a652a2e6f9def8249d80d285747.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1463867442033.jpg

Well I downloaded the manual. Looks like I will need a timer to operate the pump and chlorinator. If a timer is no big deal I'll get one but if guys think I should just sell this one and get an aquatrol for ease of use I will

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.