Thinking about a vacuum for when there's a lot of leaves/debris in the pool

tanksjeep

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 23, 2015
Lake Havasu City, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
I have the in ground pop-up jets but if the wind blows I get a lot of leaves and dirt in the pool and the pop ups just blow the debris around and it takes way too long to clean up. I was thinking of something quick and dirty that I could hook up to my skimmer and vacuum the bottom of the pool. The vacuum attachment that connects to my brush pole seems to be cheap enough so then I just need a hose and the skimmer adapter. I was also thinking about a skimmer sock to use while cleaning the bottom (I already use these if the dogs are gonna be in the pool). Anyone see a problem with this or have a better idea? I really don't want a full time robot in the pool since I don't need it except when the wind blows.

I've been getting as much of the leaves as I can with the net then I brush the dirt to the drain but it sure seems to take awhile and it seems that I really stir up the dirt and small debris and have to keep going over the same area...maybe it's my technique...:confused:

If your skimmer isn't linked to the main drain, you can easily leave the skimmer basket with a strainer in it in place and use a vacuum plate to connect the hose. Everything the cheapie vacuum picks up will end up in the skimmer than way.

WATERWORT-VacuumPlate.jpg

launboy-VacuumHose.jpg

lovingHDTV-PlasterVacuum.jpg

If you have dual outlets in the bottom of the skimmer with one going to the drain, then the vacuum plate won't work. It'll just divert more suction to the main drain and the vacuum won't pick up anything, and in that case, you'll end up hooking the vacuum directly to the port somehow.

Now a question for you: where in SoCal is LHC?

If your skimmer isn't linked to the main drain, you can easily leave the skimmer basket with a strainer in it in place and use a vacuum plate to connect the hose. Everything the cheapie vacuum picks up will end up in the skimmer than way.

WATERWORT-VacuumPlate.jpg

launboy-VacuumHose.jpg

lovingHDTV-PlasterVacuum.jpg

If you have dual outlets in the bottom of the skimmer with one going to the drain, then the vacuum plate won't work. It'll just divert more suction to the main drain and the vacuum won't pick up anything, and in that case, you'll end up hooking the vacuum directly to the port somehow.

Now a question for you: where in SoCal is LHC?

Thanks! Those are the exact parts I was looking at!...but I'm not sure if the skimmer is connected directly to the drain but there is also a drain/intake of some sort on the side wall of the pool just below the skimmer so I'm guessing this is what you are talking about so this configuration won't work unless I make some plumbing modifications?

socal = Where I live while I'm still working
LHC = Lake Havasu City vacation home (soon to be be permanent when I retire)

That hole in the wall below the skimmer is a safety device. If the skimmer basket clogs up or the water level drops, it provides a source of water so the pump doesn't run dry. Substitute "Hole in the wall" for "Drain" in this animation

attachment.php

You might be able to stick a tennis ball or something similar into that extra opening on the wall while you're vacuuming. The suction should hold it in place.

Ok I had a chance to go check out the skimmer and it does have two ports in the bottom but only one seems to have any real suction. so the other port must be running to the opening in the wall. This wall opening looks just like the drain in the bottom of the pool - it's 6-8" in dia. So it appears that I will need something pretty big (like a Home Depot bucket lid) to cover it. Maybe with the hose connected, there will be enough suction to hold it in place.

Another thing I notice is that the ports in the bottom of the skimmer are threaded. I see there are hose adapters that appear to thread into the port and the hose connects to it. This may be a better option but then I can't use the skimmer basket to catch the debris. I suppose I can use one of those external leaf canisters.

Attachments

• hose adapter.jpg
    hose adapter.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 41
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.