Leaking Pentair Mastertemp 400 Heater

Apr 22, 2016
St. George, UT
Hi All!

I purchased an 8 year old home a few months ago with a pool. All was working well until I fired up the filter pump yesterday and noticed the water level in the pool dropped after just a few of hours. After looking around I found the Pentair Mastertemp 400 heater was leaking quite substantially. I opened the side covers and found water pouring out of the 'air orifice grill'.

I haven't delved into it deeper yet as I wanted to get feedback about whether this is a common problem, and if there are any possible solutions. I get the feeling this isn't going to be easy or cheap. Thoughts?

Thanks

Thanks for the confirmation. It's not what I wanted to hear, but that seems to be how things are going lately. I'll have to measure the utility area and see how much room I have available for a larger unit before I start looking.

One follow-up question - should I consider a heat pump instead? I live in a warm enough area that it would be nice to save the operating costs of a gas heater. The Mastertemp was 400BUH, but I don't see any heat pumps that put out that kind of heat. Any pointers in the right direction will be much appreciated.

Do you just have a pool or do you have an attached spa also? There are lots of opinions on gas vs electric but here is my take on it. If you ever want to use the pool during any times when the temp is 60 degrees or less, a heat pump is inefficient at that point and produces very little heat. If you ever want fast heat ups, gas is the way to go. You are correct in that heat pumps do not come in a BTU size even close to what your gas unit is.

I have both a pool and spa. I was shocked at the cost of heating the spa a few times over the past few months, even though the outside temps averaged between 45 and 75. It looks like I could save some cash in the spring and fall by going with a heat pump, but I'd have to forego spa use over the winter. Ahhh, decisions, decisions.

I've been researching heaters online, and planning on talking to local pool guys this weekend, but would appreciate a knowledgable (non-biased?) opinion on a replacement heater. I've read many bad things about the Mastertemp 400, but I've also read good things. If you were in my situation, what heater would you get?

I would estimate my pool at around 23k gallons, spa, unknown make, Pentair control system, sand filter. Average temps in the summer are around 95 high, 70 low.- winter 50 high 30 low. So, the million dollar question is what heater would you get?

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.