First time

moreira85

Nov 8, 2015
Boston, MA
Live in MAss. We put in an IG pool in the fall. I had them come out today and open the pool. Kinda early but i wanted them here to finish off cutting the liner around skimmers and to get the pump going. They shocked it today as well. They said to bring in a water sample 2morro but i have my own test kit. My question is do i bring in a sample, and do i start balancing and caring for the pool even though we are not even in May yet? And do i run the pump and how often? Since it was shocked ill run the pump for 24hrs but then what?

If you have one of our recommended test kits----trust your own results. Bring your levels into ranges recommended in Pool School. Only run the pump enough to keep you r water clear and clean enough to suit you. Start at 4 hours and see how that works this early in your area.

Save the gas and don't bother taking a sample. You've got a vinyl liner, and it's held up for several months, so there aren't going to be any warranty issues with plaster problems that they'll try to weasel out of.

Let it circulate a while and check for leaks anywhere, and then plunge your arm in the cold water up to the elbow and get a sample. Just hold a plastic tumbler or whatever you use (no glass) upside down until it's a couple feet down and invert it. It'll fill up and you can carry it off somewhere to run the tests seated comfortably. The CYA test works best if the sample is warm, so let it get to 70F at least. Do the pH and FC tests immediately, because they will change over time.

Also let us know if the installer left you any chemicals. Just because we prefer to buy cheaper stuff not marketed just for pools when possible, if you already own it, use it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.