Homemade overflow port?

samt

May 18, 2013
Long Island NY
So I have a in ground pool that's surrounded by a wood deck that's 18" high from ground level. My pool doesn't have a overflow and durning the fall, early spring when my pump is removed I have to siphon the water out when it fills with rain. So I thought I would make my own. My thought is to install a fitting inside one of the skimmers by drilling a hole about 2" above where I normally keep my water level, I would think a fitting with a 3/8 hole dia. would work and then attach a piece of tubing too the other side of the fitting for my discharge, and just let if drain into the grass. I don't want to just drill a hole and let it drain under the deck close to the pool, I want to get the water away, thus the tubing. Is there such a fitting like that ? Any ideas on a alternative fitting?

I think you would want to find some kind of bulkhead fitting to attach to the skimmer and then you should be able to use brass or PVC adapters to connect a pipe or hose.

I think you would want to find some kind of bulkhead fitting to attach to the skimmer and then you should be able to use brass or PVC adapters to connect a pipe or hose.

Ok, bulkhead is the word. I will look using that. Otherwise I may just epoxy in a 3/8 piece of sprinkler riser pipe and that would also work I guess. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Bingo! All sorts of choices using bulkhead fitting. Thanks again

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.