SWG Newbie - Foam on Initial Startup

Oct 3, 2015
York, SC
Hey there. Newbie here that just installed a SWG (Aqua Trol). I followed the directions (including putting a quart of algaecide in before starting) and now each time I turn the chlorinator on it creates a layer of foam on the surface. It goes away quickly after killing the chlorinator and running the filter. I understand this could be because of the algaecide, but wanted to make sure to check everything. Should I keep the chlorinator running and just let it runs it's course over the next week?

My numbers appear to be almost perfect.
Taylor home test kit:

FC 6.8 - added a lot of bleach recently
CC 0
pH 7.6
Total Alk: 120
CYA: 75
CH: 200
Salt 3300 on the unit (no test kit yet; recommendations?)

Am I right to assume an air leak could cause this as well? The connecting tubes are the cheap grey ones from Lowes and thought about replacing them.

I inherited this pool last year with the purchase of my home and used the BBB method last year with great success. We switched to SWG because my wife's skin is sensitive to the chemicals.

Thank you!

I would keep your FC at 10ish for a few days to burn it all off faster.

BTW, your TA is pretty high. If your PH tends to rise a lot this could be the reason. Letting your TA drop to 60-80 will help stop rapid PH rise. TA will drop through normal acid additions used to lower PH or you can lower it faster following this process, Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.