Weighting down Conter Steps with corner step.

kplaster

Bronze Supporter
Jan 24, 2010
Randleman,NC
OK,getting my new steps together. I don't want to put sand in them and I don't want to spend a fortune on material .I have seen different solutions from PVC to Jug's.Thinking of using pea gravel .Thought about bleach Jug's and hanging them on inside of steps with marine rope and some thick wire straps. Any suggestions

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

I used bleach jugs, filled them with quikrete and added water. So far that has worked better than any other method I've tried. My steps have a shelf for the weights so I did not need to hang.

Also,when using PVC what is the best cement to use.Worried about it coming un-glued.Also,notice people using 3 in Pipe.Looking at 23 in lengths.On average how many will it take to get 70 pounds

I have the same steps; I've tried the jugs of concrete, pvc pipes filled with concrete - all to no avail. What worked for me was picking up 2 25 pound dumbbells from Wal-mart - the plastic coated kind. I placed them on the back support bar under the steps. I also placed a pad under the steps so the weights lean off the support bar and onto the pad. Worked great and it was the first year my steps didn't move

Never thought about putting quikrete in jugs and add water.What was your mix ratio?Weight of jug after doing that?

I wasn't that precise on the mix ratio, just tried to be in the ballpark of what was suggested on the package. Can't recall the weight of them either, maybe around 20 pounds? I'll weigh one this weekend and report back.

Pouring the quikrete into that little hole was tricky, I tried a funnel but the opening often clogged with the larger pebbles. I ended up making a funnel with poster board or something similar so I could manipulate the size of the opening and that made it much easier. I made maybe 10 of these to not only hold down the stairs, but also my makeshift islands that I have throughout the pool so I wanted something that could be taken in and out fairly easily. The handles really help with that.

I wasn't that precise on the mix ratio, just tried to be in the ballpark of what was suggested on the package. Can't recall the weight of them either, maybe around 20 pounds? I'll weigh one this weekend and report back.

Pouring the quikrete into that little hole was tricky, I tried a funnel but the opening often clogged with the larger pebbles. I ended up making a funnel with poster board or something similar so I could manipulate the size of the opening and that made it much easier. I made maybe 10 of these to not only hold down the stairs, but also my makeshift islands that I have throughout the pool so I wanted something that could be taken in and out fairly easily. The handles really help with that.
Thank You,I'm looking at ease of getting them up at the end of season.Thought about attaching marine rope to them to be able to pull out of water.Trying to find new empty Jug's.But,the price of them I can just buy cheap jugs of bleach and pour out for the jugs.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well,we got 6 jugs done.They are about 16 pounds wet.Got rope and big zip ties. Figure will place one in each corner.Strap them in and tie rope to all them and tie rope so I can reach and pull out of water when needed.

Nice, let us know how it works. Might not be a bad idea to pour a bit of bleach in the bottles occasionally. I had a very low level algae growth (only aware because of dead algae on appearing on the bottom) end of last year so was wondering if the bottles became a bit of a safe harbor.

In our steps, we put small bricks into ziplock freezer bags. Then put them in. I didn't want the surface of the bricks to corrode into the pool or get algae on them. Seems to be working.

Well,we got them hung with big zip tie's.Got'a get tub mat's before putting in water.I've gone back to work now so it's hard to get project completed.I will get pictures before dropping in pool.

I use sand, bleach bottles and bungee cords with plastic hooks.

FB_IMG_1462917267875.jpg

FB_IMG_1462917289919.jpg

The green ones hold the bleach bottles n the blue ones keep the steps up against the wall n clip onto the top rail. I lije being able to move them easily to clean.

Well,that didn't work.Had 6 jug 's weighing about 15 or so a PC.Still not enough to hold in water.Ugg.Finally got it warm enough to get in today.O'well..Pulled it back out.T his is what we have now.Got two Jug's hung on side step
45c27697026e8daf9679e3c2277be3f8.jpg

Mine have holes in at the top for filling them with water, that keeps them in place. There is plugs for the holes too for when they are full. Could you no just drill a 3/4" hole into each leg near the top, fill them, and then put a plug in?
All these ladders appear to be hollow, so why not fill with water and plug?

Mine have holes in at the top for filling them with water, that keeps them in place. There is plugs for the holes too for when they are full. Could you no just drill a 3/4" hole into each leg near the top, fill them, and then put a plug in?
All these ladders appear to be hollow, so why not fill with water and plug?
They are designed to add sand to them.Pop the plugs and add sand then put plug back in.But,I really didn't want to put 70 plus pound's of sand in them.Pain to get put of water.

So my ? is the cavity for sand.Is it just a empty area that water can't get to.Which would leave a air spot.Thinking I need to make a couple more jug's or just try to get to bottom sand hole and add sand only to bottom area.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.