Puck without CYA?

No, all pucks have CYA

Be careful, many pool stores will show you the ingredients which may say 98% TriChlor and comment - see, no CYA. TriChlor & Dichlor are just different formulas and both have massive amounts of CYA.

What about the cal-hypo pucks? Those are bound to calcium not cya aren't they?

Yes, but they are fairly difficult to come by and require special feeders because they break down so fast. Trichlor can easily be pressed in to a slowly dissolving puck, cal-hypo cannot. Then they also lead to calcium buildup, which can be even more of a pain to deal with than CYA buildup.

Chlorine is a gas naturally, it must be bound to something to be held as a solid or liquid. Currently the only available options for solids are CYA, calcium, or lithium. Lithium is harder to come by nowadays and with lithium-ion batteries becoming the norm it is only going to become more expensive and less available for use as a chlorine binder. If a chemist can come up with a new option that doesn't involve one of those three then it could be a very lucrative discovery.

Dimethyl hydantoin (DMH) is also binding chlorine, but I do not know if dichlor diethyl hydantoin is available on the market. DMH is mostly used as a bromine carrier, and the pucks are very slowly dissolved in water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The store where I got my pool sells both pucks (cal hypo and trichlor) and bags supposed to be for shocking only. I ocassionally use the dichlor bags for my daily dose, even though the bag directs to use all at once, but I use it only when I'm raising CYA, as I have a small pool and can't see buying those large amounts of CYA packages; works great; only mildly acidic; and I keep it sealed; dissolves much better than cal hypo and doesn't cloud my pool or leave a residue like cal hypo does and takes only 1.7 fluid Oz per ppm in my little pool. The only issue is that I have to dose for a while, then test, then repeat. My pool doesn't seem to increase CYA at the pool math level, so I usually must use more dichlor than the math shows. The FC effect though, is right on the money.

I've seen them directing customers to the cal hypo pucks once they've achieve pretty high CYA, but I didn't know they dissolve quickly and wonder how they tell them to manage those pucks or what they tell them if the customer is at the upper range of CH and CYA, since they don't sell liquid. Of course they're like most stores and call for that under sanitizing 1-4 level irrespective of CYA, but at least they don't let them keep stabilizing until it's time to drain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.