Cleveland Ohio- Lifted Pool Repair / Renovation - advice needed.

Apr 22, 2016
Cleveland, ohio
Hello everyone!

I am writing today to try and get some advice on a pool that lifted while i was acid washing for primer and paint. While i have left this pool empty for weeks at a time i think what did me in was removing the deck around the pool and some heavy rain we got that went right to the bottom of the walls. All said and done the pool has lifted the deep end 4 - 8 inches.

Things i have tried -

Rented a mini and dug a 12 foot hole outside of the pool on the deep end to pump out ground water. - pool didn't budge
Got the mini for another day and dug all around the walls to where the void starts.... no luck either -
added 10,000 gallons of water (which i have to get trucked in) - No dice - this was an attempt to add weight

If i rented a big excavator and dug 10 foot all the way around the pool would it HAVE to settle back down? meaning would this almost guarantee a fix ?

can i "grout" the voids with LSM and keep the height?

Specs:

35,000 gallon Gunnite pool
30 + Years old
No hydrostatic relief valve
Plumbing all built and poured into the wall

Thanks for any advice

This is certainly outside my level of experience however I would imagine that dirt and other fill have most likely shifted and the problem is that the void under the pool is now filled with dirt and rocks, so short of lifting the pool out and leveling the ground I am not sure what can be done.

Welcome to the forum.

I'm very sorry to hear about the pop. I think you may be seeing limited replies because most are not excited to say what I will. I don't see a way to fix it short of a tear-out. If it were less out of level, like maybe 4" or less, perhaps releveling the bond beam would suffice. But still all decking would need replaced. Not a good situation at all in my view.

Maybe others can make some good out of the dilemma.

thanks for the reply, all of the decking is already ripped out, that was the plan along with replacing all of the plumbing. The original plan was to replace decking, waterline tile, coping, paint and plumbing so im not in awe.

What I am trying to figure out is if I can pump in LSM and work with the new height or am I risking cracks and it could all implode anyway?

I have also considered a 20 x 44 vinyl inground pool because even if I get this back level or workable it still needs coping, waterline tile and of course the plumbing I mentioned earlier. I am not afraid of the digging or the work but id hate to grout, tile, paint, plumb and then install decking only for the pool to bust.

I am not afraid of getting a big CAT excavator and digging 12 foot all the way around the pool.... if that gets the job done. What will sting is if it doesn't drop.... or I grout the pool voids and it bursts.

I am not sure i follow. I assume you are referring to the wall? Its hard to see in my pictures but it looks like the walls are poured on the floor. Its bowl shaped. I've been told by non pool people that i can leave it and pump in LSM OR cement and work off the new height. I planned to paint, tile, plumb, replace skimmers and replace the decking so im not freaking out too bad.... its just these pool companies here tried to gouge me and i had a company tell me my lines were good and they weren't.

The void or shift is just below the wall.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.