Newbie with start up questions

May 5, 2009
NC
Hi, I'm new here. I hate to ask so many questions right out of the gate, but I am totally at a loss as of what to do with our pool. A little background....We bought our pool in late July last year and only swam about 4 weeks. It came with a start up kit of Baquacil, which I had no idea how to use, but I read the directions and did the best I could. Before buying the pool the manager had told my husband and I he would explain everything about the chemicals and the filter, and even tell us how to close it down for the winter so that when we opened it up in spring it would be sparkling clear. Well, once we bought the pool they were too busy to answer our questions and neither of those things ever happened.

We bought a house in November and had our pool taken down and we put it in storage. We just had it reinstalled and slowly filled it over the course of a week and a half. We used our well, oops! I guess that was a no no (first time we've ever had a well). We were told buy the installer it shouldn't be a problem. So after reading a little info on here I see we may have an iron issue. What would I have to do to correct it?

I have yet to start chemicals since we just finished filling it. I have no idea where to begin! BBB sounds great and I would love to go that route, but I have no clue how to even start the process? Is it safe for children with eczema? Can it be used with our filter? We were told we could only use Baquacil, but it's so expensive. I'm sorry to sound so clueless, but that's actually the way I feel about this whole situation. Also our water looks very dirty/green, especially from all the pollen that has settled in. I wouldn't feel as worried if the water was clear. Is there any way I can do this without calling in a professional?

Thank you so much for any advice or help you can offer. I'm almost in tears trying to figure out what to do with this pool. Our six girls are ready to swim and we just invested another $1300 having it reinstalled, but my husband is already ready to tear it down and throw it out. It looks so different from when we first filled it last year (we didn't have a well then so it filled more quickly and we didn't have the pollen issue that late in the summer). I'm the one that has to take care of the pool since my husband is the sole bread winner of the house and I really need some help. Thanks again. :-D

Stephanie

Welcome to TFP!

Since you have used baquacil before you will have to go through at least a very minimal version of the baquacil conversion in order to switch over to chlorine. Since the water is new it should be a very quick process, but it will mean replacing the filter media.

BBB is safe with eczema. In very rare cases the eczema is aggravated by swimming, but usually it is unaffected, and occasionally just slightly improved.

The well water won't necessarily cause any problems. Vinyl liners are fairly resistant to staining and there might not even be any iron in the well water. If you do have staining you will need to use sequestrant, but I would wait on that till you actually have a problem with stains.

You should be able to easily handle everything involved in the startup and conversion to BBB without any problems. If you get confused at any point just ask us for more help.

If you want to proceed, the next step is to adjust the PH to between 7.2 and 7.4, make sure the TA is at least 70, get a good test kit if you don't already have one, and stock up on either bleach or liquid chlorine (sold at pool stores in some areas). After that you can continue on with the baquacil conversion, with the expectation that it should go very quickly, probably 24 or 48 hours, pop in the new filter media and you are ready to start doing BBB from there.

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

My daughter has eczema, and she's not bothered by swimming in our chlorine pool. Just as a precaution, I make her shower after swimming anyway (plus she's usually a mess after playing outside all day anyway, all greasy from the sunscreen.) :lol:

Since this is (relatively) fresh water with no baq in it, the conversion will be quick, like Jason said. You can start the process, and while you are in the first stages, you can order a replacement cartridge for your filter, if you look online I bet you can find a good price. Or buy one from your local pool store. At the end of the conversion you will replace the old cartridge (which is contaminated by the BAq goo and has to be thrown out-but this is at the end of the conversion). So replacing the cartridge is one expense.

Order a TF100 from TFTestkits.net (link on the homepage) or a Taylor k-2006. Once you have a good kit like these You will be in total control and you won't feel overwhelmed anymore! (Note: The TF100 is only sold online, and the K-2006 is not usually sold in stores.) The TF100 ships really fast - I received my last order in 2 days. I know the kits seem expensive but they should last you at least 2 seasons or so, and they are worth the investment.

The initial expense of replacing the filter combined with the test kit may seem like a lot after just spending the money to reinstall the pool, but believe me by switching to BBB the money you will save compared to BAQ will be amazing. Plus your pool will be Trouble-Free! :mrgreen:

I know how you feel, I used to be so frustrated and overwhelmed by my pool. But it's all really straightforward and soon this will all be second nature to you. :wink:

Any questions at all don't hesitate! :goodjob:

Hi Stephanie and welcome.

It will all be okay if you listen to what we tell you. Buy yourself and your pool the TF test kit. It will allow you to read chlorine levels up to 50 ppm right down to a point. It's very, I mean, very accurate and the only way to go.

Get your TA and pH lined up and order your test kit and we'll go from there. Don't get discouraged. We're here to hold your hand and walk you through it as long as you are willing to learn. 8)

Everything will be okay! Whatever you do, don't take the pool down and soon your water will be the talk of the block! :mrgreen: If you have to take your water to the pool store for testing, just get the results. Don't buy anything until we tell you too! If anything, all you will need is Bleach, Borax <20 Mule Team> and Baking Soda.

Now, take a deep breath! :goodjob:

Thank you Thank you Thank you!

Now I definately want to make the switch. I have one more question, probably a stupid one lol, by changing the filter media do you mean changing the cartridge or other parts as well?

I definately need a good test kit and need to find the best place to purchase a replacement cartridge.

Stephanie

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
See! You can do this! We were all newbies at one time or another and soon your pool will sparkle like the rest of ours! :mrgreen:

I just want to thank everyone for being so wonderful and offering their help :-D . My TF100 is on it's way and REC has my filter for $89, so I guess I'll be making a trip up there, as much as I hate to. So I'm guessing I need to wait for my test kit to arrive before I start the conversion so that I can check and adjust the PH and will be able to keep an eye on my chlorine levels. Am I right?

Thanks again everyone!!!

Stephanie

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.