New Pool setup

Apr 14, 2016
Laurel, Mississippi
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I just received my TF-100 test kit. I have not installed my pool but was wondering what I needed to put in my pool chemical wise once I have set it up and filled it. My Question is, should I wait to test my water once the pool is up and full or should I test the water coming my tap? Also, which tests should I run? I have tested the PH and Chlorine level from the tap. The PH was 6.8 and Chlorine was a 0.

Testing the tap is good for practice and just so you know what's going into the pool. For the pool itself plan on the following once the water is up to the skimmer so you can circulate:
- Adding stabilizer for an initial CYA target of 30 ppm - you can raise it later if needed
- Add bleach for a first day FC target of about 3 ppm; after that, increase FC to about 5 ppm
- Adjust pH to the mid 7's
- Check TA. As long as it's between 50-100, you should be fine.
- CH is N/A
Make sure your in-line chlorinator is empty - no tablets. Hope that helps.

It depends are you on a well or a municipal water supply, if municipal I would suggest testing everything but CYA, CYA will only be in pool water that has had stabilizer or stabilized chlorine products added to it.

p.s. to follow up on the CH comment above, CH is not needed for a vinyl liner pool, but it is still nice to know

Ok good to know. I am on Municipal water supply. I suppose I would use pool math to find out the amounts I would need to add from each. Also, I have seen people on the forums talk about bleach. Is this just regular household bleach? IE Chlorox Bleach? Thanks for all the input. This site has helped me tremendously already and my pool isn't even up yet.

To echo the others, test the tap water except for CYA, because you will have none. That will give you an idea of what to have on hand, but chemistry can change a little once the water is circulating.

You know for sure you'll need some bleach. Look for sales and pick up three or four jugs. You know for sure you'll need some stabilizer. 4 lbs of stabilizer will take your pool to about 36; 5 lbs to 44. So see what they have at the store and buy a canister. If the fill water is high in TA, you might not need to do anything to the pH because the aeration while filling and the first kids in the water will derive it up. If low in TA, you'll need some Baking Soda and possibly something to raise pH. Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

You're starting with a blank slate, and you've got the Cadillac of test kits, so it should be Trouble-free from the get-go.

But back to reality: site preparation. Don't skimp! If it takes another weekend to get it right, wait another weekend. You want the ground level and packed and smooth. Check out some older threads. Here's a starting point.

Thanks for all the help. This is really starting to make sense to me now. It is just blowing my mind how using Bleach and baking soda to keep your pool running smooth. We always had a pool growing up and my parents never did it this way, always went to the pool store so this is completely new to me. Yes, I will take as long as needed to make sure my ground is flat and level as possible. I know the foundation is key to anything you are building. I have 3 oak trees being cut down next week to clear the area from leaves and more sunlight. Then I will start with ground prep. Definitely will be a few weeks before the pool is up and going. I am hoping by end of May, start of June.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.