Alwayswantedapool

Platinum Supporter
Jun 22, 2015
York SC
I am getting a new Pentair Super Flow VS pump installed and looking for a surge protector. Not much for the electrical stuff, but I have 2 slots open in my pool electrical box and would prefer something that would go in the box.
Would this be something good? Eaton CH230SURCS Circuit Breaker and Surge Protective Device - - Amazon.com

The more I research the more confused I get on what to select. Saw some comments about 1 phase vs 2 phase. The existing and new pump would be 220, does that mean I need a 2 phase surge suppressor?

Thanks

For breaker style, I found the below link. The panel is a Cutler-Hammer. Based on the link below it looks like a Square D "QO" is compatible with a Cutler-Hammer type "CHQ". I guess now the question is, how do I know my Cutler-Hammer is a type "CHQ"? How do you know what breaker style you have?
This is way more complicated then I expected.
Choosing the Right Circuit Breakersat The Home Depot

Found a label on the panel that says to use Breaker styles, BD, BQ, BQC, BR, BRAF, BRD, BRSN, BRWH, GFCB. OP, GFEP. So I guess I dont have a match.

It is a little complicated. What I usually do is either of these two :)

A- go buy what I think I need, take it home, doesn't fit, go back and hope I get the right thing on the second trip

B- take out a breaker and take it with me to compare with what they have at the store.

Two phase power has not been used in the states in years. for a 240 volt service, you need a double pole breaker. Are you sure the panel buss has room for two more slots or are there just knockouts for them?

Edit: ... Some parts of Philadelphia still use 2 phase.

Don't lengthen the white wire on the breaker and run the shortest and straightest run to the neutral bar, if you have to move other 2-slot breakers to put this in an optimal position do it. That being said, I'd investigate what your panel's requirements are, what are the common failure modes in the VS control panel and that would determine what type and specs for the surge protector. Your links should work for just the pool equipment, but for whole house I'd go with something better.

This blog here has a good breakdown on types and features in surge protection: What Whole-House Surge Protection?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.