Thinking of adding a Liquidator or Stenner

Dec 3, 2014
Cypress, Texas
Any feedback on the Liquidator?
I see many people here setting up a Stenner Pump, but the Liquidator looks like it would be easier to install and probably cheaper as well. Any reason why I shouldn't use a Liquidator??
Thanks!

Also now looking at Stenner Pump

Re: Thinking of adding a Liquidator

Any feedback on the Liquidator?
I see many people here setting up a Stenner Pump, but the Liquidator looks like it would be easier to install and probably cheaper as well. Any reason why I shouldn't use a Liquidator??
Thanks!

The Liquidator is cheaper but it is sometimes harder to get setup. The Liquidator relies on passive flow to control the chlorine injection. It uses the pressure differential created by the pool pump and two internal float valves to set the flow rate of diluted chlorine into the system. Variations in system pressure can cause variations in this dosing. There are also issues in some areas with calcium flakes forming on the surface of the liquidator solution tank that can clog up the lines. I think a lot of people like Stenner pumps because they can be easily automated on a schedule and their dosing is, for the most part, independent of system pressure.

Thanks for your feedback Matt.
You mention the possibility of flakes forming that could clog up the lines. Maybe you can help me understand what would cause that and why would it be different with a stenner pump set up?
Thanks!

Thanks for your feedback Matt.
You mention the possibility of flakes forming that could clog up the lines. Maybe you can help me understand what would cause that and why would it be different with a stenner pump set up?
Thanks!

Normally you add liquid chlorine to the bottom and top it off with a layer of water. The water and LC stay mostly separated but the water layer has a high concentration of chlorine in it and has high pH. The flakes are caused by calcium hardness reacting with the high pH to form calcium carbonate scale. The scale can get lodged into the float valves and cause problems.

Normally you add liquid chlorine to the bottom and top it off with a layer of water. The water and LC stay mostly separated but the water layer has a high concentration of chlorine in it and has high pH. The flakes are caused by calcium hardness reacting with the high pH to form calcium carbonate scale. The scale can get lodged into the float valves and cause problems.
Ok so I see the potential for calcium build up, but how is the Stenner pump different then?
Forgive my ignorance, I'm not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand
Thanks

The Stenner pump is direct injection of LC into the return line of your pool. The tank holds the full strength LC. At no point is the LC exposed to any CH except at the point of injection. Therefore there is no way for calcium scale to form as long as the LC tank and tubing remain free of water.

As a former Liquidator owner the three main issues are:

1. They don't play well with variable speed pumps. The Liquidator relies on passive suction to work -- if the pumps working its working. So the more your system is on and the greater volume the more chlorine. A VS pump on low speed barely provides enough suction for the Liquidator to work. If anything goes wrong - it looks fine but there is no flow.

2. They don't play well with solar. Say you balance the chlorine based on low speed, if the solar kicks in you are dumping excessive amounts of chlorine in the pool. And since the solar is temperature sensitive you can never be sure exactly sure how much chlorine you will use on any given day in the summer. All adjustments are a guesstamation. With a Stenner you can be very close with the big variable of sunlight.

3. The dreaded white stuff. You never see it. Then it comes. You drain your tank and clean the feed lines with vinegar every three months. It comes back. It keeps coming back. You go away for a week and there is no chlorine in the pool. Agggguhgh!!!!! With a Steener I clean my injection port of salt twice a year when I clean my filter.

OK, so you convinced me, maybe I should consider a Stenner pump, but I must admit that it still looks a lot more complicated- Buying the pump, finding a tank, deciding on a timer and figuring out how to hook it up to the controller etc.
Can anyone tell me the easiest way to purchase and install everything I need?

Thanks!

lokewell.com

get a 15 gallon grey tank and a 100psi 10 gallons per day fixed rate pump.

Have them set up an outlet controlled by the iaqualink relays.

Search around there are a bunch of threads on how to set up a steener with details.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok I found the following Stenner Pump items online...
Stenner 85MPHP17 100PSI (is this a good one?) for $208
Gray 15gal tank $114
Rain Cover $12

What else would I need to get?

You need way to connect the check valve to your return line. Some install a Tee with a 1/2" thread. Others make their own threaded opening into the existing pvc pipe. To control the Stenner you can use the Woods electronic timer or integrate it with your Aquilink.

You need way to connect the check valve to your return line. Some install a Tee with a 1/2" thread. Others make their own threaded opening into the existing pvc pipe. To control the Stenner you can use the Woods electronic timer or integrate it with your Aquilink.

I know I can get another brand tank for less, just want to make sure I know what all to buy. I'm not sure how to tie into the Aqua Link but you mentioned the Woods electronic timer, I see a bunch of them online. Which would you recommend??
Thanks

Most people get this for a timer:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006LYHG42...vptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_23l195329o_b

The trick is to set it so that you are sure that your circulation pump will be running while the Stenner is active. Not that hard to manage for most pump schedules.

The tank really depends on your situation (daily FC use, equipment pad space, etc). You have a small pool volume and could get by with a relatively small reservoir. Use pool math to calculate how much bleach you'd need to inject to achieve 2-3 ppm FC each day and then figure how often you want to refill. The only caveat is that bleach will degrade at higher temps, so unless you can protect your bleach tank from the sun, it may not make much sense to have a tank that holds a 3-month supply of bleach. Chem geek has worked out the relationship between temperature and bleach stability:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...bleach-over-time-by-storage-temperature/page2

Post #23.

If you can manage the install, it seems to me that the Stenner FC delivery system is the most bullet proof system out there. Good luck.

Ok I found the following Stenner Pump items online...
Stenner 85MPHP17 100PSI (is this a good one?) for $208
Gray 15gal tank $114
Rain Cover $12
What else would I need to get?

OK I'm ready to pull the trigger, but still have questions regarding the equipment...
1) I've looked at both the 45MPHP and the 85MPHP Stenner Pumps, (Fixed Rate, 100 PSI, 10GPD). They appear to be charging the same$, so what is the difference, which would be better?
2) Which tube do I need? 1/4 or 3/8?

Thanks for your help!

I think the 45 series operates at a lower speed (rpm). I don't think the 85 has a 10 gpd....it has a 5,17, and 40. Did you make sure the run time will be OK for your size pool when coupled with the selected Stenner? See the post:
How long to run Stenner pump?
Better to check now that end up with one that's not quite right, though you could make pretty much any work if needed. The only difference between the 45 series 3gpd, 10gpd and 20gpd is the internal tube size. This tube is a maintenance item and could be changed to create the any of the 3 gpd flow.
For your size pool, 1/4 should be fine.

I think the 45 series operates at a lower speed (rpm). I don't think the 85 has a 10 gpd....it has a 5,17, and 40. Did you make sure the run time will be OK for your size pool when coupled with the selected Stenner? See the post:
How long to run Stenner pump?
Better to check now that end up with one that's not quite right, though you could make pretty much any work if needed. The only difference between the 45 series 3gpd, 10gpd and 20gpd is the internal tube size. This tube is a maintenance item and could be changed to create the any of the 3 gpd flow.
For your size pool, 1/4 should be fine.
You are correct, the 85 has a 17 GPD, the 45 Series has the 10GPD pump. It seems that either one would work for me as I would need about 32 oz of chlorine dispensed. Obviously the model 85 would do it in less time, but other than that, what would the difference be between the two pumps?

I don't think there is a difference other than the speed the pump runs. I asked about this in the past and if I remember correctly that's the answer I got. Hopefully someone will come along to confirm or correct if needed. I went with the 45- I figured the slower feed would be better for the equipment.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.