Pool equipment identification

Apr 11, 2016
Dallas, TX
I know what most of my pool equipment does, but I have two valves that I'm not sure about.

I'm going to do my first backwash this weekend. Based on what I've read, this is a pull valve for switching the filter to backwash mode, correct?

image2.jpg

This valve I'm not sure about.

image1.jpg

There is a pipe next to it, with a faucet. The back of that pipe is cut off, but does have the pipe going into the ground below. Is that for draining the pool?

Before I just turn off the pump, switch the valves, and turn back on to see what happens, thought I'd throw it out there to see if anyone has any ideas.

And just for good measure, this is the lovely pool equipment area the previous owners left me:

image3.jpg

fancy, right?

You're correct Gonzo. The first pic is your filter's plunger valve. You lift and turn to the appropriate settings. There are several YouTube videos showing how to use those as well. The next pic is one of your 3-way valves used to direct the flow of water from one pipe to the other, or allow it to share and go both ways. I can't quite make-out the pipe with the end cut-off, but it's very possible that's a drain-to-waste port during backwash. You'll find out when you switch the plunger valve to backwash. :)

Looks like the 2nd valve is on your suction lines going into the front of the pump. So, depending on your setup the 2 pipes are either: floor drain, skimmer, 2nd skimmer, or vacuum port

Appreciate your help, once again. Very helpful.

With all the rain, my pool has gotten too full, can I drop the water level just by backwashing, or is there a more preferred method for dropping the water level?

- - - Updated - - -

There is 1 floor drain and 1 skimmer. Maybe that opens/closes those.

Usually you do not want to use backwash to drain large amounts of water as you can end up getting debris in your grids. You could likely lower it a few inches in the process of backwashing.

I can not tell if you have the ability to drain out of the spigot or not.

Backwashing does lower the water level, but you will probably lose DE and need to recharge. Not the best option for other reasons noted by Jason. I don't recall if your plunger valve has a "waste" setting. That would be best just to drain water if you have that ability.

The plunger valve has "Lock" and "Open" settings, nothing else.

I thought with backwash I'd have to replace DE as well. Was thinking I'd pull the grids out, hose them down, and do clean everything. The pool maintenance guy did 1 backwash in the 7 months I had him, so I'm sure it is way overdue.

What would diverting more of the suction to the skimmer do? I'm not following why I would do that.

One other option I thought of for draining some of the water would be to disconnect the Polaris, and let water get pumped out through that hose. Might take awhile though. That faucet handle is gone, but I'm tempted to open it up with a wrench and see what happens.

More pool projects for the weekend are: replace the pvc that holds the timer box, fix the clock motor to the booster pump (power to that motor isn't continuous, so the clock motor stops, and the clock motor is not wired to the intermatic timer, so I need to see where they have it connected to), and install a light switch to turn on and off the pool lights (right now to turn them on, I need to flip the breaker on in the main breaker box).

Ok. Gotcha. I already read that well detailed post, thanks for putting it together.

Reason for doing the backwash is because my pressure is getting a bit high (25 - 30psi), when after the last backwash it was at 8-10 psi. We have a very large oak tree over the pool that drops tons of pollen, which does get through the skimmer to the filter, is my guess. I also had a bit of an algae issue and have been SLAMming the pool, and a backwash was recommended with that as well.

It has rained in Dallas Sun - Wed, so the pool is almost overflowing, hence my wanting to drain the pool some, to get the level down to an appropriate level. Figured I'd accomplish both, learning how to backwash and lowering the water level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.