Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward Naviagor Help

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward Naviagor Help

I was reading the online manual for my Navigator and they emphasize the use of the leader hose and connecting it directly to the unit. Well I purchased a house that already had a pool and this cleaner but noticed that there is no leader hose at all. Should I get one? What is the purpose of it. It seems to work ok without it.

Thanks.
    16,500 Gallon Plaster, Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 1 1/2 HP Up-Rated Pump, Pentair Clean n Clear 150 Cartridge Filter, BioGuard Mineral Springs MS-10 SWG, Hayward Navigator Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward Naviagor Help

I'm not sure if it's the case with the navigator, but usually a leader hose is slightly weighted to lessen the upward force on the cleaner and allow it to stick to the floor better. If yours is working fine I'd just keep doing what you're doing. Or duct tape a weight to the last hose.

3. Back To Top    #3

The leader hose on my Navigator has a swivel connection. I think the swivel allows the Navigator to turn easier.
    Bob
    18,500 gal IG Vinyl pool, 300lb sand filter/1.5 hp pump, 925V Hayward Navigator Pool Cleaner,
    192 sq ft solar heat, TF-100 test kit, BBB for pool chemistry and love it.
    Our pool build slideshow http://s366.photobucket.com/albums/oo10 ... =slideshow

4. Back To Top    #4

Ah! Maybe a 1.5" swiveling repair cuff would do the trick if the lederhosen is overly pricey. Or you could just keep on as is since it's doing ok.

5. Back To Top    #5

Great... thanks for the help guys!!!
    16,500 Gallon Plaster, Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 1 1/2 HP Up-Rated Pump, Pentair Clean n Clear 150 Cartridge Filter, BioGuard Mineral Springs MS-10 SWG, Hayward Navigator Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit, Apollo Magnetic Stirrer

6. Back To Top    #6

I just bought and installed a Navigator in my pool last week. The leader hose does not have a swivel. Rather the swivel is part of the Hayward vacuum head.

The leader hose has a slightly thicker (weighted?) cuff on it which is a subtle difference compared to the rest of the hose pieces. The cuff is thicker and stronger than the other hoses to give you a stronger/tighter fit on to your Navigator.

If your Navigator seems to work right and doesn't pull itself apart at the vacuum head, I wouldn't worry about it if you don't think you have one. It's a subtle improvement.
    20,000 in-ground pebble-coat pool with 60sf Jandy DE filter, Pentair Variable-Flow pump, Goldline Aquarite SWG, Dolphin Premiere robot, passive solar heating.