FC level vs PPM on bleach bottle

accountingmama

Platinum Supporter
Aug 21, 2014
Litchfield, CT
Can someone explain the different between the FC level and the warning on the bottle of bleach to not swim if bleach if more than 3ppm?

I am keeping my FC level at the recommend level and have not had any issues, but my husband is concerned with the bleach label stating that we should not swim if the bleach is higher than 3ppm.

Thank you.

The container does not take into consideration the amount of CYA that is in a pool. The higher the cya the more fc you need to sanitize your water as some is locked up by cya itself.

The 3 ppm is for water with no CYA in it. The active actual OCL- concentration is lower with some stabilizer (CYA). 2 FC with no stabilizer will bleach swimsuits rather quickly. But I've swam in water with 20 FC and 200 CYA withe no problem, eyes open underwater even.

This scholarly thread has some graphs. Note the graduations are logaritmic. Pool Water Chemistry

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.