Confused about Chlorine and CYA relationship...need clarification

Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
Currently I have a 15k SWG pool and the CYA level is appx 35-40 and my FC level is 2.2, the pool looks good, but I noticed on the chart that CYA should be minimum of 60 for a SWG pool, right? If so, should I bump the CYA up and if I bring the CYA to let's say 60, then will I in turn also have to increase and keep my FC level up to 4 as recommended on the chart?

Currently I have a 15k SWG pool and the CYA level is appx 35-40 and my FC level is 2.2, the pool looks good, but I noticed on the chart that CYA should be minimum of 60 for a SWG pool, right? If so, should I bump the CYA up and if I bring the CYA to let's say 60, then will I in turn also have to increase and keep my FC level up to 4 as recommended on the chart?
Yes. But the reality of it is, that you might actually have to reduce the SWG run time after a couple days because you'll be producing more than you lose thanks to the extra UV protection. Target 70 CYA and don't ever let the FC dip below 4. Most people try to maintain higher than minimum Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs

Yes. But the reality of it is, that you might actually have to reduce the SWG run time after a couple days because you'll be producing more than you lose thanks to the extra UV protection. Target 70 CYA and don't ever let the FC dip below 4. Most people try to maintain higher than minimum Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs
Thanks for the response Richard!

Since I'm trying to increase my CYA AND FC should I just use some dichlor/trichlor tablets in the skimmer? I also need to bring my pH down a bit, so I was thinking in this case the tablets would actually workout pretty good?

You can use trichlor (it is much more acidic than dichlor), just be careful not to over do and keep up with the effects on pH. If you don't have any on hand trichlor pucks can often be found in 1 or 3 packs, just don't leave them in your skimmer when the pump is not running or let them sit in contact with your liner. If you have one use a floater dispenser.

You can use trichlor (it is much more acidic than dichlor), just be careful not to over do and keep up with the effects on pH. If you don't have any on hand trichlor pucks can often be found in 1 or 3 packs, just don't leave them in your skimmer when the pump is not running or let them sit in contact with your liner. If you have one use a floater dispenser.

How long usually if it's suctioning only from the skimmer does it take for the trichlor tablets to dissolve? Do you think leaving them in there for 10 hours will fully dissolve them?

Well I guess I go either get a floater and put them in there or use the DICHLOR tabs instead and just decrease my pH with MA.
Why not just buy plain Cyanuric Acid granules? You don't need the extra FC that dichlor or trichlor provide. And by the way -- they're both very acidic. Neither is suggested to go straight in the skimmer.

I see using poolmath that raising CYA from 40 to 70 will take 60 oz by weight. A four lb canister of CYA at Walmart is cheaper than the smallest pail of pucks they sell. Clorox Pool and Spa Chlorine Stabilizer, 4 lbs - Walmart.com

Why not just buy plain Cyanuric Acid granules? You don't need the extra FC that dichlor or trichlor provide. And by the way -- they're both very acidic. Neither is suggested to go straight in the skimmer.

I see using poolmath that raising CYA from 40 to 70 will take 60 oz by weight. A four lb canister of CYA at Walmart is cheaper than the smallest pail of pucks they sell. Clorox Pool and Spa Chlorine Stabilizer, 4 lbs - Walmart.com

Good advice, seems like the easiest way around this is to buy CYA granules and just use the MA every so often to knock the pH back down? Also, if I use the CYA granules, should I shut off my pump until they are completely dissolved?
Do I just pour them around the pool? The only way I've read was to put the solid stabilizer into a sock near a return jet, waterfall, or skimmer....not sure how to apply the granules?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good advice, seems like the easiest way around this is to buy CYA granules and just use the MA every so often to knock the pH back down? Also, if I use the CYA granules, should I shut off my pump until they are completely dissolved?
Do I just pour them around the pool? The only way I've read was to put the solid stabilizer into a sock near a return jet, waterfall, or skimmer....not sure how to apply the granules?
Solid CYA is granular.

I knotted 2 socks together (actually needed 2 pairs of large socks) and hung them over my pole to hang in front of the return jet.
Or you can put them in the skimmer, but do not completely block the skimmer.

They will dissolve MUCH more quickly the more you can massage them.

I knotted 2 socks together (actually needed 2 pairs of large socks) and hung them over my pole to hang in front of the return jet.
Or you can put them in the skimmer, but do not completely block the skimmer.

They will dissolve MUCH more quickly the more you can massage them.

Awesome! I'll probably just hang them on a pole in the waterfall so I don't even have to worry about clogging up the skimmer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.