Green pool upon opening and still green on day 6....

Apr 20, 2016
Lee's Summit, MO
So this is my second year of being a homeowner with a saltwater pool (17,000 gallons). Last year had it's own challenges with a very wet spring and finding out I didn't have proper drainage which caused a floating pool liner...coupled with a unreliable pool service. Now this year I have a new pool guy and I'm on day 6 after he opened it and while it's lighter--it is still very green--see pic.

Here's what has been done thus far:

Day 1: Pool opened by a "professional" with a couple pounds of shock and a treatment of algacide added. Was told PH levels and salt were in line. Turned on filter.
Day 2, 3, 4: Filter continued to run 24/7
Day 5: Had water tested at local pool store and advised to add two shock packs, 28 ounces of Algacide, and two 40lb bags of salt. Also brushed pool during this.
Day 6: Brushed pool and added another shock pack.

Filter has been running constantly and shallow end is in slightly better shape than deep end (can't see bottom at all on deep end).

Any advice is much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0452.jpg
    IMG_0452.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 330
Are you willing to take over the care of you pool? THAT is the best way! It is faster and cheaper! Most of the stuff can be bought at Target or Walmart! Neat huh???

Here is TFP we can teach you how to do it. The number one thing you will need is a good test kit (see link in my signature below) and a willingness to read and learn.

It is EASY! Most days it takes less than 10 mins to do what needs to be done! REALLY!

Kim

Given that I just bought the home the prior year and have never owned a pool before I figured I would leave it to the "professionals", but I haven't had much luck as you can tell. I have no problem ordering a test kit down the road via the site you recommended, but would like to buy one locally to get this "fix" underway asap.

tell me more......

TF-100 XL option, and also get the speed stir (link below). Mix like a pro easily. Best thing you could do for your pool right there. While waiting, add about 1 gallon of bleach each day just to try and keep it from getting any worse. Make sure to update your sig with all of your pool and equipment info. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Make sure you understand the SLAM page from top to bottom. No shortcuts. That's quite a green pool, but you can fix it with a SLAM. Be patient. The TF-100 will serve you well.

Welcome and I'm excited for you. Read A LOT! it may seem overwhelming at first but it will all fall into place and it is oh so easy! Follow the SLAM to a T. Fire your pool "pro" stay out of the pool store with their magic potions and save yourself some $$ at the same time. You'll love your test kit so much you may just sleep with it!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I also have a salt water pool. While you are using regular bleach and SLAMing it is best to turn off your SWG. It will save a little cell life, but most importantly it will make it much easier to monitor the FC variables - the only chlorine added to the pool is the stuff you poured from a bottle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome! :wave:

Believe it or not, it sounds like you got off lightly before you had enough and came here searching for answers.

When you get tired of all those technical posts, follow some of these and scroll through and look at the pictures. Recovering my old inspirational links

Also, if the trash hasn't been hauled away yet, see if you can find the empty containers from all the magic elixirs. Hopefully you didn't get dosed with copper-based algaecide, because you may end up with crystal clear but emerald green water, and green-haired swimmers.

Welcome to TFP KC pool :wave:

That looks like my pool a couple of years. Haven't had that since switching over to the TFP method here.

If you can find it in your location there is also liquid pool shock ( just bleach) that's 12.5% and you end up buying less and carrying less from the store to home. I get four gallon cases at fleet farm for 9.99 That's the best price I can find. Check out the big box stores in your area.
Here is a link to a calculator for comparing the cost of bleach from one size and or strength to another. Due to the different sizes and concentrations it's a nightmare trying to figure out what is a "deal" $$$.
This way the calculator tells you how much your paying for just the bleach per ounce so you're comparing oranges to oranges.

Forgot to mention, DON'T use a bleach that's splash-less or scented. They've been know cause problems with foaming. Concentrated is fine it's just a bit stronger and in a smaller bottle usually.

Chlorine Price Per Ounce Calculator

Going with the TFP method will give you great quality, sanitary, sparkling blue water and it does it for way less than the Pool Store or Expert you're presently using. Say good bye to algacide.

Attachments

• bleach liquid Pool Shock.jpg
    bleach liquid Pool Shock.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 280
These guys are 100% on target. Be patient, follow the process and it will NOT let you down. Even when it goes slow, or feel like there is little change, it will come. I helped a friend last season fix their pool. They had dumped hundreds of dollars into the pool (based on pool store advice) and still have a dark green swamp. Then they agreed to let me have a go at it, and they signed up to the commitment to the TFP way. See for yourself, as here is a grouping of pics of the pool, which was 11 days, green to clean. You be the judge. You'll get there and learn a ton along the way.

Attachments

• File Apr 21, 8 51 16 AM.jpg
    File Apr 21, 8 51 16 AM.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 270

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.