Green pool upon opening and still green on day 6....

As I wait for my test kit is there anything I can do to remove algae? I am brushing once a day and have a pool blaster max (although I'm not sure it's picking much algae up). Do they sell nets that will catch algae that I can try and drag the bottom of the pool? Also, last night I stumbled upon someone saying put a nylon sock over the skimmers. Thanks again!

Also, I did add 2 gallons of Pool Essentials Chlorinating Liquid last night.

I've updated signature with pool details and test kit is shipping today. I will take a pic this afternoon when sun comes back out. 3 gallons of chlorinating liquid added thus far. Backwash was didn't have much green in it this morning--is that good or bad? Any advice on physically removing algae when all I have a is a "pool blaster max"?

Also, should I be concerned about "bleaching" my liner?

You might consider a simple manual suction vacuum. That's what I still use. IT won't break the bank but will pull everything to your filter so it can be filtered and backwashed. Maybe something like you see HERE. Of course that's just the head. so you would need the hose as well. :)

Bleaching your liner should not be a problem as long as your FC is matching your corresponding CYA level as noted on the chart. Even at SLAM level it's fine.

Make sure "before" you try to connect to the hose to the skimmer suction hole, that you fill the vacuum hose completely with water. I usually do mine while the pump is running. I hold one end of the hose up to a return jet and let it fill it up completely, then go over and connect it to the skimmer hole. That way I never lose suction.

That's okay. Stirring it up is good too to ensure organics don't get comfortable on your pool surfaces. AT some point, if you haven't done it before, make sure to give your filter a good deep cleaning. You would be surprised how much junk settles into the sand than cannot be removed b backwashing over time.
Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

That is quite the color change. Okay, stay with it. Hopefully the FC will take care of the green (algae). I know we do have that looming concern about the algaecide used previously which can turn the water green, but it's too early to tell right now. It's all still very early. Maintain the SLAM and take a good pic or two each day to compare. We'll watch with you to see how it goes.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Actually haven't started SLAM yet as test kit won't arrive until Saturday. With the lighting difference (not much sun today) I wasn't sure if it was better or worse--what did you think? I do know that the second treatment of Algecide did NOT contain copper.

I added 2 gallons of bleach last night and 1 this morning--should I do anything more today besides brush?

EDIT: clouds just parted and I ran out and took another pic from my deck for a different view.IMG_0459[1].jpg

Not really. Brushing and circulation are good. Maybe add another 1/2 gallon bleach before bed. We don't want to get too carried away since we don't have your test kit numbers yet. Once we have those numbers though, we'll be able to get this thing going and do it right.

My last pool which was 19,000 gallons went through 35 jugs of 8.25% bleach over a two week period SLAM if that is helpful.

Be prepared for funny looks / possibly questions from folks in the store. heh heh.

Here's where on I stand on deep cleaning....last night I didn't let it drain long enough and was anxious to get started (and battling darkness) so started "flooding" my filter with hose water even though it was still nearly full. It ran for atleast 30 minutes spilling out green water. This morning I am giving it a round 2. I fully drained it and and see a layer of green sand on top. I am planning to scoop of the green layer and go at it again.

A couple questions, can algae be retained in the filter (will i have to do this again post-SLAM)? Also, my filter (TA60/600) calls for 325 pounds of sand and 57 inch of clearance??? Obviously not sure on weight, but is the 57 inch clearance cubic? how do I know if I need to add sand?

Lastly, I'm trying to load a pic but it says it exceeds my quota?

Thanks again!

Doing the maintenance on your filter is a great thing at this point. Not only do you see the green on top, but there may have also been contaminants trapped deep inside that a standard backwash could not break-up. When you do your SLAM, the filter will also be treated better as the chlorine from the bleach passes through. I'm unclear about the 57" clearance statement. I'll see if I can find that on-line.

As for the pics, you do have a limited size on the server unless you become a TFP supporter. For now, you could upload your pics to Photobucket (free), then copy & paste the IMG code for that pic from Photobucket to your TFP post. Works great.

Also, you can try going to the bottom of your quick reply post where it says “Go Advanced”, and then down to where it says “Manage Attachments”. It may let you upload them that way. They may show-up large because you can't adjust the size of the attachment, but it may work.

I looked at two different Pentair manuals and couldn't find anything about the clearance. Perhaps that's just a general set-up requirement to ensure you have adequate space around the filter itself? But I did find this video that may help you: How to change sand in a TA 60 sand filter - YouTube.

Oh good, you found more info. :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.