Is this liner tear patchable?

Sep 10, 2011
Yaphank, NY
Hi everyone,

Unfortunately lost some water over the winter. Turned back the cover and found a roughly 1 1/2 inch tear in the liner very close to a seam. Looks like it's in a bad spot for patching...On the sidewall, just above the seam where the the step for the deep end is. The liner is 9 years old and decently bleached from the previous owner. Now it is quite wrinkled in the area where the tear is (I guess from water getting behind the liner). Do you think this is patchable or is it time for a new liner?

Thanks for your help.

Liner.jpgLiner2.jpg

I agree with woody and kim. That looks patchable, if you have material enough to have the first patch at least 4" longer than the hole. Then apply the second patch over that one the same, 4" larger in all directions than the first one.

Fun part for you will be to suction all the water from behind your liner, after patching.

I agree with woody and kim. That looks patchable, if you have material enough to have the first patch at least 4" longer than the hole. Then apply the second patch over that one the same, 4" larger in all directions than the first one.

Fun part for you will be to suction all the water from behind your liner, after patching.

Going to attempt to patch this week. Don't see any easy way of getting the water out from behind the liner. The liner didn't seem to shift or be out of place, it's just bubbling out in a few spots. Will the water work it's way out when i fill up the pool? How important is it to get the water out of there? Thanks for everyone's help.

I had a similar tear and patched it. It seems to be working thus far. I did use two patches. I would try to get as much water as you can out of there, and then I used a turkey baster to squeeze some bleach into the hole as some yucky algae had gotten under the liner around the tear. Good luck!

I had a similar tear and patched it. It seems to be working thus far. I did use two patches. I would try to get as much water as you can out of there, and then I used a turkey baster to squeeze some bleach into the hole as some yucky algae had gotten under the liner around the tear. Good luck!

Did you (or would you) put the patches over the seam or above it? The tear is less than an inch above the seam. Also, how exactly did you get the water out from behind the liner? No algae in there at least. Just took the cover off and water looks pretty decent. Would be a shame to have to drain it all out to replace this liner. Thanks for your help.

I would definitely not drain it until you at least try the patch. I would put it over the seam. I would use a larger patch than you think you need. I was able to gently push the water out through the tear, although that may not work in your case. If it is not much water under the liner, I think you will be ok. I am sure I had a little water under the liner and it must have "soaked in". How much water is underneath your liner? Your pics are a little hard for my old eyes. One mistake I made was letting the water level get too low, thinking it would be easier to fix the tear with a dry liner...big mistake as soon as one of my kids stepped on the dry liner producing another tear. If your tear is under the water level...repair it under water. They make plenty of patches for underwater fixes.

I would definitely not drain it until you at least try the patch. I would put it over the seam. I would use a larger patch than you think you need. I was able to gently push the water out through the tear, although that may not work in your case. If it is not much water under the liner, I think you will be ok. I am sure I had a little water under the liner and it must have "soaked in". How much water is underneath your liner? Your pics are a little hard for my old eyes. One mistake I made was letting the water level get too low, thinking it would be easier to fix the tear with a dry liner...big mistake as soon as one of my kids stepped on the dry liner producing another tear. If your tear is under the water level...repair it under water. They make plenty of patches for underwater fixes.

Ok I will try that. I lost a considerable amount of water over the winter. I'm not really sure how much leaked out through the tear and how much i pumped off of the tarp (had a few holes in there). The water level is currently about 6 in below the tear and that area is dry and somewhat brittle. I'll have to be careful while patching. I just took another look and the wrinkles feel like there is air behind them and not water?...so maybe there isn't too much water back there and it's just wrinkles/air pockets. I don't really care about a few wrinkles so I'm thinking i won't mess with it. I'll patch it dry, fill it back up, and hope for the best. Thanks again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.