Screened in Pools

clyopoolboy

LifeTime Supporter
May 29, 2007
Southeast Georgia
Does anyone have a screened in pool? if so who installed it and what are the benefits? are pool screens sturdy?we are having problems with mosquitos and horse flies.I live in southeast Georgia. Any pros or cons that anyone has experienced?Thanks for all the help and valuable info. :-D

I think Florida is the only place with screens over their pools! My pool is unscreened but I do have my patio under roof and screened. It really leaves the pool area wide opened and leaves me a better view into my back yard.

Screened rooms are as sturdy as the contractor putting it in. Here in Florida, they are attached to the roof structure, so they are very stable in high winds. Hurricanes?? A completely different story. There are still homes with screens still waiting to be repaired. Actually, unless there was physical damage to the frame, the replacment of the screen fabric itself is easy enough to do it yourself.

Putting up a screen around your pool will involve proper flooring structures and roof support. I wish I could be of more detail, but that's all I know...
:(

Someone here in town has a enclosed pool that is covered by what looks like a polebarn with windows and fiberglass panels for some of it. I can't imagine they use it during the cold winter months of Michigan but it could extend the swimming season more than the 3 months we usually get. I'd sneak over and get picts but the old guy is a nasty varmit. Sorry.. Kim

I got online and checked out what it would cost to screen in our pool and it was something like $24k and that was for a 30'x40' area around our pool. Heck our 36'x30' garage with a closed in finished AC/heated room was that much and it has all that material/insulation and concrete. Can't figure out why the cost for just a screened in area. I guess it all falls under supply and demand, not to mention location.

You should be able to build basically a building over the pool, with retractable screens.

I'm thinking something like:

http://www.co.craven.nc.us/depts/rec/im ... elter2.JPG

Then you could either make panels out of screens that fit in the open spaces, or simply have screens that can roll up.

Add a few skylights to it would be a nice touch as well.

You could then put a couple solar heating banks on the roof if you wanted to keep the pool warmer.

If you did it yourself, depending on lumber costs in your area, I can't imagine it costing that much at all.

clyopoolboy said:
Does anyone have a screened in pool? if so who installed it and what are the benefits? are pool screens sturdy?we are having problems with mosquitos and horse flies.I live in southeast Georgia. Any pros or cons that anyone has experienced?Thanks for all the help and valuable info. :-D

My pool isn't screened but fully enclosed. . . to use the word lightly. It came with the house I bought; I believe it was a DIY.

Originally, we were told, the shelter was just a roof; later walls were added. It isn't a very tight building; there is a gap between the roof and the top of the walls, mostly screened. Guess that was to provide ventilation. :)

If you put up a roof over your pool (don't know if you would, but it was suggested), you will have to deal with some indoor-pool issues. Really you'd just have a semi-indoor pool under those circumstances. The main concern that can arise is that you can accumulate cc's and have trouble getting rid of them w/o direct sunlight on the pool. If you don't fully enclose with walls, ventilation won't be an issue, tho.

If you take steps to prevent the cc's, it won't be a problem, but this is easiest to deal with in proactive rather than reactive mode! The use of non-chlorine shock and enzyme treatments is very helpful. Because I didn't know all this, I am stuck with 0.4 PPM cc's which will just have to come down over time as water is replaced thru backwashing, etc.

That said, I love my indoor pool! Adding the screen shelter would certainly help prevent some (not all!) of the leaves, bugs, etc., falling into your pool. Good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Seems like an extreme measure for mosquitoes and horesflies! Have you tried Thermacell? http://hunting.about.com/od/hunting/gr/ ... macell.htm
They come in lanterns now as well as the clip-on appliance shown in the review. My hubby (who wrote the review) swears by them.

For me, wearing a cap sprayed with strong DEET is enough to keep the skeeters and flies away, but I don't swim underwater very often.

I grew up with a screened in pool in FL. We had a lot of short leaf pines on the property and the needles would poke through the top screen and get stuck there. I remember my Dad having to clean them off all the time. He was never in a good mood when it was time to do that. :?

The pool domes are much cheaper, but not a forever thing. We looked at one and its about $1600 for a 20x35 dome. They have to have the screens/poly sides removed for the winter.

We live in mosquito land up here. My mother in law who lives on the farm next to ours has just been released from the hospital and is recovering from West Nile disease. We are lucky to have her still - its very scary and older people are more likely to suffer and/or die. She had to be packed in ice several times a day for 3 days to keep the fever down. It was very scary - don't mess around with mosquito hazards.

We fog with pyrethrin and use the Thermocell lanterns - one on each end of the pool area. The fogging usually takes care of them completely for a few hours - up to four if there is no wind. The Thermocells work pretty well (not perfectly) even on black flies.

Welcome to TFP! :-D

Along with many others, I also love the idea of pool screen enclosures....but, the $$$$ :evil: ! If you would like to see pix of two b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l pools with their fabulous screen rooms from two members of this site, go to:

FORUM index, select "Show Off your Pool/Spa/Backyard" and scroll down until you find the two authors, WATERBEAR and SPEED151. (There may be others, but I have not seen them yet.)

One site you might want to look at is http://www.eastcoastscreens.com/poolenclosures.html just to get some info. When we hit the lottery it will be high on the list! Good luck!

Joyce......... :oops: oops, missed that "will NOT be screening in my pool" part! Never hurts to look, but for now there is a great info thread in BACKYARD OASIS for MOSQUITOES!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.