Chemical ID needed.

mlk77

Apr 16, 2016
Stevens Point WI
We recently took over a hotel, we're sorting through chemicals and found a jug that we're not sure what is it. It's a black powder type and turns the water purple. The jug is plastic and says Oxidizer 5.1 with a yellow lable. What might this be and used for?

Thanks for any help.

Welcome to TFP!

It sounds like Potassium Permangate, but I'm not sure that's what it is. I've only used it to regenerate Iron "filters" or exchangers for Iron removal. Why did you put it in the pool?

I agree with Patrick, that is what it sounds like. I use it in my green sand filter to reduce iron and hydrogen sulfide. Can't think of a situation where it would be added directly to a pool.

Thanks for the information guys!!

I didn't add it into the pool at all. I got a bucket of pool water and put a small amount of it in there and that's how I found out about the water turning colors. If I don't know what something is or does I don't add it since this is a commercial pool.

Thanks for the information guys!!

I didn't add it into the pool at all. I got a bucket of pool water and put a small amount of it in there and that's how I found out about the water turning colors. If I don't know what something is or does I don't add it since this is a commercial pool.

Oh, ok, good deal then! Whew....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.