Do you really have to pour Muriatic Acid over 2 FULL minutes?

Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
I'm going to be pouring about 20 ounces of MA in my pool later today in front of return jet to lower my pH, but do I really need to pour the 20 ounces over 2 FULL minutes? That sems like an awfully long time to sit there and pour 20 ounces?

It is your pool and you will come up with your own routine. But that is certainly a safe recommendation. ;)

Guess I'm just trying to figure out if it is REALLY needed to wait that long. My pool guy told me to spread it out around the perimeter of the pool. I was thinking about maybe doing half in front of one rturn jet and the other half in front the other return jet (I have 2 total).

I typically pour on 20oz or so and it takes me less than 30sec in front of the deep end return. I then give the pool a brush (~10mins). That's more than sufficient to dilute and mix the acid.

2 full minutes is overkill.

The faster you pour acid, more of the acid will sink to the bottom of the pool. With a slow pour over a return, more of the acid gets distributed through the water column. Watch to see how fast the acid is sinking when you add it and adjust as necessary.

It's always best to brush the pool to help distribute the acid and prevent any damage that can happen if the acid sunk to the bottom of the pool.

The faster you pour acid, more of the acid will sink to the bottom of the pool. With a slow pour over a return, more of the acid gets distributed through the water column. Watch to see how fast the acid is sinking when you add it and adjust as necessary.

It's always best to brush the pool to help distribute the acid and prevent any damage that can happen if the acid sunk to the bottom of the pool.
Good advice, I'll pour a little and see how fast it sinks and adjust from there. I don't mind pouring slowly, just didn't want to if I didn't have to. Will it really mess up the plaster on the bottom of the pool even if its a small amount like 20 ounces?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I just reread the instructions and it says a full jug, which is 128 ounces, should take 2 minutes to pour. That is sound advice as that will dilute it enough to not cause it to sink and sit on the pool surface.

Your 20 ounce pour should then take only 20 seconds or so.

You can also use a 5 gallon bucket to pre dilute it. Always put the water in the bucket first and add the acid to the water. Give it a light stir and pour it in.
I've done that on evenings when it's "steaming" as it's easier on my lungs to put it in the bucket as it stops fuming right away. I always try to stay up wind of it but it's not always possible.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.