Connecting Automation, VS Pump, Polaris, and Chlorinator

Apr 24, 2010
I currently have a Hayward OnCommand automation system. Single speed pump and auxiliary pump for polaris. Chlorine generator as well. OnCommand turns pump on and off via schedule. Also turns on polaris pump via auxiliary switch. They are interlocked to prevent polaris from coming on without main pump. Chlorinator is tied directly to main pump leads, on and off with pump.

Just bought a new Hayward TriStar VS pump. Should receive in a few days. Very nervous trying to integrate with OnCommand and make everything work. I've started reading all the manuals, but it's pretty confusing.

I need to first figure out what I want to do. I need to run high speed for polaris and for good chlorination. But I also want to run low speed most of the time (not sure if I should run chlorinator at this time as well).

Not sure what my question is, other than looking for support and ideas. If anyone has done something like this, especially with OnCommand and TriStar pumps, I'd love to hear how difficult/easy it was. And if anyone wants to comment on operation, please do so. Thank you-

I have Pentair stuff so this may not apply, but might help point you in the right direction anyway.

My VS pump is wired directly to the breaker for power and a comm cable to the automation panel for communication. First thing I had to do was tell my automation that it had a VS pump connected to it. Then I could start to control it from the automation.

I run my VS pump on low speed (1100rpm) for filtering, skimming and making chlorine. It only uses 150 watts at 1100 rpm. Find the lowest speed that you can run and still make the SWG happy and then run it a couple hundred RPM higher to avoid flow errors.

Yes, pool automation is confusing and hard to understand at first and the manuals don't help a lot. I know that Pentair has tech support people who are happy to help with automation programming and set up. I would assume Hayward does as well.

Just to close out this thread....

Installed new pump this weekend. After speaking with Hayward, I knew I had to run power directly to the pump and not through the control relay. I also connected a comm line between controller and pump. Once settings were adjusted and switches in the pump set properly, I had full control of the pump through the OnCommand system. It really couldn't have been much easier.

To get the chlorinator to work, I am utilizing the pump relay. I have power going to the line side, which is also where I landed the pump lead. Full time power there. Then I have the chlorinator on the load side. When the pump runs, the relay closes and provides power to the chlorinator.

My only issue right now is that according to the chlorinator, I need to run the pump at 45% to keep from getting an alarm. While much slower than my old single speed pump, it's faster than I wanted. Not sure what I can do with that. Going to check my salinity levels and clean the generator to make sure I'm not contributing to the problem with something else.

Nice work, thanks for following up! Those are a couple of good places to start with trying to be able to run it less than 45%. Is your filter clean? How old are the cartridges? I changed from Pentair carts to Pleatco and they work better. More flow, last longer between cleanings, easier to clean. If those don't help enough post some pics of your plumbing and maybe someone will see something that can help improve efficiency.

Discussed in seperate thread, but I ended up rotating the chlorinator 180 degrees to make it upside down. Based on design of the CircuPool cell, this places the metal strips at the bottom of the cell. No alarm at low speeds, but I did develop a large gas bubble. Was able to settle in at 30% for good flow without bubbles forming.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.