Storing Muriatic Acid....opinions please!

Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
Maybe I'm overthinking this, but I've decided to store it outdoors by the pool but far enough away where the kids can't get to it. I was going to put the gallon containers in a larger 5 gallon bucket with a lid. Do you guys think I should also drill a few holes around the top portion of the lid for ventilation purposes? Thanks!

My advice is to lock it up out of the sun and leave it in the jug it comes in, the caps are specially designed to vent. If you are absolutely going to put it in a 5 gallon bucket use one with a screw off cap like a paint bucket as prying off the lid can be hard and cause sloshing when the lid suddenly comes free. I would say 1 or 2 max very small holes like 1/64 or 1/32 of an inch the more holes you have the more off gassing.

oh and if possible keep it away from metal over long periods of time even though you can't see/smell it the off gassing will rust near by metal.

My advice is to lock it up out of the sun and leave it in the jug it comes in, the caps are specially designed to vent. If you are absolutely going to put it in a 5 gallon bucket use one with a screw off cap like a paint bucket as prying off the lid can be hard and cause sloshing when the lid suddenly comes free. I would say 1 or 2 max very small holes like 1/64 or 1/32 of an inch the more holes you have the more off gassing.

oh and if possible keep it away from metal over long periods of time even though you can't see/smell it the off gassing will rust near by metal.
Great thinking on the screw on lid as opposed to the snap-on that is usually very difficult to pry off! I'll feel a little safer with it in the 5 gallon bucket, so I'll just make a couple very small holes right underneath the lip of the lid. Thanks!

It should work okay. They're not air-tight, so it should be fine. Just as long as what you use doesn't have ANY metal (i.e. hinges, latches, etc). That's something I just completely brain-farted with my TUFF Shed and now my hardware is junk. I kick myself everyday I see those things.

Hadn't thought about storing MA, or even bleach for that matter. Would it be an issue to store the MA in the original container, in one of these cabinets in the garage? Would it cause the car to rust?
If that would work ok, could we keep bleach jugs in the same cabinet, or is that not a good idea?

Keep MA separate from bleach. They don't play nice together. I'd keep the MA away from cars and tools AKA not in the garage.

Mine goes in a deck box outside in a shaded porch... when it's not winter. In the winter, it goes in the basement, but away from appliances.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
MA and bleach should not be stored together, in fact if you need to add both of these to your pool add one then wait a bit before you add the other. Store your MA in the original container in a ventilated area with no metal nearby. I have a plastic cabinet that is in a shaded area outside that I store my MA in. Bleach I keep under the sink in the laundry room where it stays cool.

My .02: The container it comes in is what it's meant to be stored in. Stores keep lots of it long term without issues. It's very dangerous to store it in a container not meant for it. It is fine in a garage. Don't drill holes, you are allowing it to 1) be stored in an unapproved manner and 2) you allowing vapor to be released in a way it should not. The safest way is to keep in in the original container.

My .02: The container it comes in is what it's meant to be stored in. Stores keep lots of it long term without issues. It's very dangerous to store it in a container not meant for it. It is fine in a garage. Don't drill holes, you are allowing it to 1) be stored in an unapproved manner and 2) you allowing vapor to be released in a way it should not. The safest way is to keep in in the original container.

I think you misunderstand what he was saying........he was thinking about putting the bottle it comes in inside a 5 gal. bucket and drilling holes in the bucket to vent that.

I think the locking plastic containers is a MUCH better way to store it if there are kids around.

Kim :cat:

OH I just thought of something else! There is a one member who had older kids-middle teens if I remember correctly.........well the teen was going to "help" out with the pool. He did the tests, used pool math THEN addrf in the bleach. Welllllllllll he grabbed the white jug of "bleach" and added it. It was NOT bleach! It was the muriatic acid jug. Now the Dad did not have them right next to each other as he knew they did not play well together BUT the teen did not read the label. He just grabbed what he THOUGHT was the bleach. Dad knew right away what happened as he knew he was out of bleach and had picked some up on the way home that afternoon. Alls well that ends well though. Teen was okay and learned to read labels, pool was okay after some cannon balls, Dad started locking the MA up to keep it from happening again.

Kim

Outdoors - by the house in a relatively shady spot.

That's the problem for me, the only shady spot I have is on the side of the house, between the pool equipment and the AC units ( probably not a good spot).
Sorry to belabor the point, but if I kept it in its original container, and put those in a sealed plastic box, would it be ok to keep in the garage, or would I just be better off just putting it in a plastic deck box out by the pool, in the sun?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.