Confused pool owner

Apr 17, 2016
Dubuque Iowa
Hi this is my first time posting.
We have owned this house and pool for 4 years.
Obviously I still don't have a clue, but i try.
We have a 20 x 40 in ground pool with a vinyl liner, 32000 gallons.
Test strip tells me:
Hardness-100
total chlorine -3
Free clorine-0
ph-7.2
alkalinity-120
ca-0

So far we have scrubbed the walls , vacuumed and back washed.
We have added 18 gallons of bleach, clarifier, stabilizer, and we have a cloudy blue pool. What am I missing
Good luck explaining it to me, I'm really trying.
We did the BBB method last year after we got it right and did great!
Thank you!

Hi, welcome to TFP! If you were following TFP last season, then you have probably seen our advice about test kits. Having a good, high quality FAS/DPD test kit is an important part of the TFP care plan. A test kit is an investment in the quality of your pool and it will pay off in no time at all. Do not add any more clarifiers, they will not help at this point. How much stabilizer did you add and how long ago did you add it? You did not post a result for CYA and that is an important value to know. If you have over stabilized the water it will be more difficult to keep clear.

Welcome to TFP!

Skip the clarifier and stick with these, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals and use only as needed.

Toss the guess strips in the trash and order a TF100xl from TFTestkits.net.

This is how we clear algae from a pool. Don't skip any steps! Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

And this is how we maintain pools. The good news is I only had to read it 30 or 40 times before I got it. :thumleft: But, the real key is just to jump in and start doing, it becomes much clearer fast. Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Clarifier is not something you just dump in the pool. You use it to remove items from your water after the water is balanced and there is no bad stuff present.

Get a test kit k 2006 is good or tf100. Give us some numbers from that.

I suspect you have something growing in there and you will need to SLAM the pool

Okay i have a Taylor test kit but don't really know how to use it.
Its a Complete (Fas-dpd chlorine) set
I have printed out all the info from above and will look it over.
My biggest confusion is the cya and shocking?
I had a pool place help me one year and I had over 1000.00 in chemicals and I still had algae. So that's when my neighbor said dump in bleach and we found the BBB method.
Thanks for all the info, I will work on reading it and try to understand it

I'm a new pool owner and I found the step-by-step instructions in the Pool School section under Extended Test Kit Directions to be very helpful. I also watched a few YouTube videos. You can also use the advanced search feature on this forum which I have found invaluable when looking for specific topics. Good luck.
:lovetfp:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When you post your tests do it like this:

FC
CC
PH
TA
CH (net really needed with a vinyl liner)
CYA

I bet this helps!

How to Use a Taylor Complete FAS-DPD Pool Water Test Kit K-2006 - YouTube

For the PH I find if I hold a white, plastic plate up behind the PH test tube and pull the plate back and forth until I get a color match I get the match faster.

For the CYA-------do not start looking for the dot. Add some water, glance, look away, add some more water, glance, look away, glance. Once you do not see the dot with a glance call it good!

Kim :cat:

LOL I HATE the CYA test! So that ^^^^ is what I came up with..........I call it the "bar glance". You don't stare, you just glance then look away, glance again to see if they saw you looking LOL

The dot should be gone when you GLANCE in the tube. If you stare you WILL see it even if you cannot see it LOL One person had an idea I like also. Pour it to each level and the the glance in and out. If you can see it go to the next level, etc until you reach a level where it cannot be seen at a GLANCE. Call it that level.

For the CYA-------do not start looking for the dot. Add some water, glance, look away, add some more water, glance, look away, glance. Once you do not see the dot with a glance call it good!

I saw a post on here once about CYA test and was the best advice (for me anyway) ... Pour to first line... Hold down look... If needed.. Pour to next line etc....

Has really helped me in that test lol

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.