Timer problems

Jun 4, 2007
I was having problems with a timer for my pool pump. (Intermatic T104) After awhile I noticed that it was not turning the pump on. I would manually turn on the pump, and then the timer would turn it off as it was programmed to do. (It is mechanical, not digital)

The timer was old and rusted, I noticed that the little tab that trips to on switch was broken off. I went to the pool store and bought new "innards" for it.

Well, this new one is not turning at all. (I know I wired it as the old one was set up.) still, it does not turn on the pump?

Has anyone ever experienced problems like this with a timer?

Any assistance would be MOST appreciated.

thanks!
Frank E.

The first thing to do is look through the little oval window at the very top to the right of the wheel. If you can see the teeth on that gear moving, the problem is mechanical in the gear train (unlikely in a new mech, but possible.) If it is not turning, the problem is a bad motor or motor not getting voltage.

Look for two little white wires from inside the timer that should be attached to the 'Line' terminals. Verify with an insulated test lamp or VOM that there is indeed line voltage at the terminals to which the white wires are attached when the timer switch is off. If not, you have a wiring problem. If yes, you have a dead motor out of the box and you should return the mechanism. It is easy in some installations to swap the line and load leads. This will cause the timer to operate until the timer is turned off. Then voltage is cut to the timer motor and it never turns on again. Good lock and stay safe. Always cut power at breaker before exposing yourself to any wires (obvious, but can't be said enough).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.