Looking for ideas on how to fix the coping rope light setup

steveg_nh

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 7, 2013
Southern NH
Hi All, I'm hoping you have some good suggestions on what material to use to reattach this rope lighting. I'm helping a friend with it. We got the pool all cleaned up last summer (it was a green swamp), and just opened it this year to pretty clean water. Very pleased. Had a blown out Jandy valve, and we got that replaced today. Now to tackle the lights.

The way they work, they are supposed to be attached just under the cement coping edge, all around the whole pool. It has come undone in a bunch of places, and they have tried everything to reattach it, with little luck. It always seems to come down again. Here's a pic of how it's just hanging, and another section where it's properly mounted (for the most part). We were still cleaning the pool when I took these, so forgive the leaves on the bottom!

Any ideas on fixing this?

Thanks!

Attachments

• File Apr 19, 6 19 40 PM.jpg
    File Apr 19, 6 19 40 PM.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 77
  • File Apr 19, 6 19 26 PM.jpg
    File Apr 19, 6 19 26 PM.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 79
Butyl tape may work if you want to be able to remove it easily or clear rtv silicone if removing it is not a concern. You can still remove it with the silicone but removing all the silicone residue would be difficult if not impossible.

What? I do not think silicone is the way to go. I think something more along the lines of liquid nails or a more permanent adhesive would work better although that could raise issues in the future if you needed to remove it.

Oh, misunderstood some stuff and mixed up posters. Thanks for clarifying. So basically need something that can withstand waiter and has adhesive properties. I'd think somewhat plyable and won't shrink or crack or dryout (sunlight).

I'm assuming this is fiber optic. I would go to Home Depot and stand in the construction adhesives aisle for a while and read the various adhesive labels until you find one that says both concrete and plastic. Basically some form of liquid nails. There are different brands all over the US so its a matter of going in and reading the labels to find one that will work for you.

I just want to point out that the rope LED lighting is not permitted anywhere in the US to my knowledge. I know of no rope lighting that is he 2014 NEC permits low voltage lighting listed for use inside a pool. I guess one could argue its outside the pool, but I have my doubts.

Thanks for the tips and ideas. Please keep them coming. I have no idea about the origin on the light, just that it was there when the current owner's bought the house. And it must have been put in when the pool was done, because it goes under the cement patio coping to a control box about 10' away from the pool. Odd for sure. I'm sure it looks cool when it's all properly mounted though. I was tempted to say just rip it out. :) There are other lights in the pool too, in the walls, but not sure if they work. If not, I'm sure they could be fixed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.