Hanging a rectangular Intex Ultra Frame Pool directly from the pool deck

Apr 18, 2016
Stockholm
Hanging a rectangular Intex Ultra Frame Pool directly from the pool deck

Hello

Im from Sweden so sorry my bad english.

Im thinking of NOT using the metal frame that came with my pool, instead i will try hang the pool directly from the pool deck.

Because of the climate here we ned to put the studs a few feet into the ground when we build our deck, so i think its stronger than the metal frame that comes with the pool and will not sink into the ground.

I will use pressure treated wood 2x2" square studs instead of the horizontal metal bar, then it's just to bolt straight through the pool linear and let the bag " hang" in the wooden pool deck. The pool will hang on the wooden bar not the screws.

Personally I would prefer to avoid building a steel frame with corrosion problems. Especially when the salt water chlorinator is used .

Hard to describe my hope illustration will helps.
index.php

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I am not sure I like that idea.

I think putting holes through the liner will add weak points.
I also think the square wood "rods" running through the vinyl sleeves could rub and tear the vinyl.

BUT ... if you do it, please post up pictures and let us know how it goes!!! :mrgreen:

I don't think that the screws will add much stress to the vinyl, the force goes vertical. But the square wooden rood could add horizontal wear witch is not so good. Maybe I should use a rounded bar just in case, but that will add some more stress to the screws. The pool arrives today. [emoji7]

cbe5950442ae48c804dfabae42a21d70.jpg

8da6fa44394e220b04abb2d1196810d5.jpg

Interesting idea! I'd be most concerned about having a rigid frame. The original frame i flexible both laterally and horizontally, allowing the liner to move with the water. In your contruction the liner will be fixed, causing tremendous stress when the water moves. Something to think about.

Yes you are right aboute that the stress will be a bit higher with a rigid frame, very hard to calculate how much more. I fill a big plastic bag with water its pretty easy to hold the sides strait, but if you lift it more it will be extremly heavy and most likely break, so the movement will be there as long as the walls are not to streched i think. People before me have fixed the frame in the deck more or less.

I'm not sure what to say about this other than... ::epds::

I have done some calculations. I will show them later when I dubbel checked them. But it seems that the force it takes to lift 1 feet of horizontal bar on a square intex ultra frame is about 160 pounds. Can someone with a pool confirm that it's seems reasonable? Aprox 320 pounds on each vertical leg (12 on one side of the pool I got, about 2 feet apart)

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I can't even begin to think how you did the calculation of force on a bag pools rail but it sounds like you are in the ball park. On my 20' round Intex I can just lift a pole up a little by myself. I think that your wood will be plenty strong. I would use hooks to attach the top round wood rail to the deck. That will give the pool a little wiggle room.

I'm unclear as to your exact plan. Will the pool still rest on the ground, or is it entirely suspended above the ground by the rails?

I'm going to just say no.

The liner is not ment to do what you are asking it to do. First problem is the liner is designed to be supported by the metal walls which are self supporting. In other words the weight and force of the water pushing against all sides of the pool provide support to the wall itself. The back side wall takes some of the load of the front wall. So the liner will bulge out and all the force of the water will be on the connections at the top which will rip out. Second you will have noting to distribute the dynamic forces that will be created when I, fat old white guy, jump into your pool displacing water. In short you need the walls to distribute the load forces.

I'm going to just say no.

The liner is not ment to do what you are asking it to do. First problem is the liner is designed to be supported by the metal walls which are self supporting. In other words the weight and force of the water pushing against all sides of the pool provide support to the wall itself. The back side wall takes some of the load of the front wall. So the liner will bulge out and all the force of the water will be on the connections at the top which will rip out. Second you will have noting to distribute the dynamic forces that will be created when I, fat old white guy, jump into your pool displacing water. In short you need the walls to distribute the load forces.

FYI, There are no metal walls on an Intex Ultra Frame pool. Just a top rail. And the pool is designed to bulge out and be contained by the liner only.

Ok so no metal walls. It uses a top cord around the pool to distribute forces. It needs the top cord. I can't get the manual to download but it looks like a continuous top cord. The top cord is connected to the buttresses along the sides which in turn are connected to the underside of the pool. That way the weight of the water keeps the walls from collapsing. You need the continuous top cord. You can't replace it with wood.

You can cantilever the deck over the pool but you need the continuous top cord with the buttresses connected under the pool otherwise you disrupt the load path winch may lead to wall failure and a short surfing session.

Top cord? These Intex ultraframe pools have a metal tube that runs through sleeves in the top edge of the liner. This metal tube is made up of several joined sections. The liner does not care if it is held up by wooden sections or metal sections, as long as it is held up sufficiently.

The thing is that the top frame does not just hold up the liner, it distributes the lateral forces of the water movements to the support legs. Sure, you can probably replace the metal frame with a wooden frame, but you can't (I don't think) just get rid of the support legs and think that the liner will withstand the forces. I support your creativity though :)
The question is why you want to do it? Is it just to get a cleaner, integrated look? Have a look at the Swedish Poolforum.se, there is a guy who has built a deck around an Ultra Frame, keeping the frame and legs and still get a great looking pool: http://www.poolforum.se/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=11405.0;attach=16498;image

The question why is interesting :) I always like to try taking things further. Just testing my idea's give me pleasure itself.

The problem I'm trying to solve here is integration with the deck and the common problem with corrosion of the frame when use of SWS.

Posting my idea's here gives me feedback of things I haven't thought about. It's always good with a creative team when you build something orthodox. Forums are filled with this creative people. :)

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.