Pool filter PSI drop after sand change/ plumbing repair?

Jun 20, 2015
Sherwood, AR
May be a dumb question... But i'm an electrician not a plumber haha.

A couple days ago I changed my sand and re plumbed around my pool pump/ filter. My old filter PSI after a good backwash was around 19. I also had a few minor leaks. Now there are virtually no leaks aside from the pump strainer basket when i shut off the pump. (i need a new gasket i know) Now my filter is sitting at a steady 10 PSI. Normal? My theory is just now with no leaks and fresh sand there isn't as much PSI? Im not sure.

Any input? Thanks everyone!
(hayward S244t filter/ 1 HP hayward pump)

Your old sand was pretty gunked up. You have less psi but a lot more flow. To prevent the new sand from becoming clogged just like the old, it's probably a matter of balancing your chemistry better so you don't have as much debris entering your filter.

Yeah that makes sense. Last year I tried the bleach method and struggled to fight algae the whole summer. And plus i had no idea when the last time the sand was changed. After i changed it the other day it immediately started clearing up within 24 hours.

- - - Updated - - -

I was just curious if 10 PSI seemed normal.

Now it's dropped to 8 PSI?! that seems awfully low?
last night i did her a strange humming from the pump so i went outside and no water was flowing... so i shut it off for the night. this morning i pulled a twig out of the impeller area and a few pebbles out from under the strainer on the pump..

Did I burn it up?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.