Advice? replacing pool / spa controller - Jandy ji 200

Jan 31, 2009
Plano, Texas
Hi all - I hope this is the right forum... Looking for some advice on replacing a Jandy Industries controller that has just about given up. When we bought the house in 2001, it was here and working fine (probably went in about 1996). (FYI - only picture I can find online... http://www.1800poolparts.com/JANDY~JI~2 ... tsdev.html )

Since then, the wireless remote has stopped working and one of the switches has broken. For the time being, it works ok, but I fear it doesn't have much life left. :(

My pool is in-ground, about 15k gals - I have a connected pool and spa, one light in pool, one light in spa and jets and a heater.

1. Can anyone tell me if I even *can* get the remote fixed? That would help a lot!

2. what's a simple / budget controller with remote for a set up like this?

3. what should I expect to spend for a basic model? At least $600 - 700???

Thanks for any and all advice!!

If you shop around you can get the conversion kit for about $800. It is Jandy Part number 7092 and includes the PC Board, One Touch controller and two temperature sensors. Watch out. make sure that when you order the upgrade, the vendor sells you the latest revision (current Rev P). Later revisions always include a bunch of new features that you may want now or in the future (variable speed pumps, DST, etc). Upgrading to a new revision requires you to buy the upgrade kit again or spring for just the firmware chip (~$1700).

Thanks for the advice on these. I actually have not looked into that, but will consider it now.

I have a stupid question though - I thought that I had seen complete controllers (as opposed to conversion kits) for this price or less... This seems like a lot to me to basically put a new face and new temperature gauge on an existing unit....

I feel like this is one area of the pool that I know NOTHING about and can't figure out how to learn more... Is there a pool controllers for dummies write up somewhere on this board I haven't found?
:hammer:

The reason to go with the Jandy upgrade is that it uses the same Power Center, valve actuators, relays and wiring as your existing system. All that you will be replacing is the main board in the Power Center and adding a nice LCD control pad in place of your current indoor control pad.

Goods news is you have several options, bad news is picking one.

JasonLion's options work well and seem to be the least expensive.

Woollybully’s option of Jandy 7092 will give you a modern very functional unit.

Jandy also has model # PDACONVJ PDA Conversion Kit that you should be able to find for less than $700. This model includes a wireless controller, power center bezel with PCB, temperature sensor and a wall plate cover.

It’s all about features/functions/price.

OK - so I'm coming to the conclusion that I don't really have a controller - I just have a timer. Does that sound right?

My current box on the wall OUTSIDE has a rotary 24 hour timer and 4 switches that turn off / on (set manual / auto)
1. pump
2. spa jets
3. pool light
4. spa light

I do not have an additional control pad (inside or anywhere else) and I have a wireless controller that is no longer working.

If I understand what an actuator is, I don't have any. All of the valves are manual. That means I have to walk over to the equipment and manually change the valves to make the hot tub work.

Does that make sense? Sounds like I'm in the dark ages compared to everyone else here....

No, not the dark ages. All I have is a timer that turns the pump on and off and that is it. Yours turns four different things on and off, to say nothing of the wireless remote (when it worked). I would call mine a timer and yours a fairly basic automation system.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.