Problem with solar and flow

Russmd

May 14, 2013
I have a 25,000 gal pool with 1.5 hp Pentair fixed speed pump. Solar heater panels on the roof, tall single story house. Sorry but I don't have more info now - square footage of panels or anything. I also have a Jandy 1400 SWG. All 2" pipe. Heater works well. Pump equipment is pretty far from pool, at least 50-75 feet.
Normally, when solar is not enabled, my clean tank pressure is 15 and my flow meter reads around 55 gpm. When solar is enabled (automatic solar valve), the tank pressure increases to 20 and the flow decreases to around 45. Problem is that at that lower flow, my SWG flow sensor frequently goes to the "no flow" condition. The flow sensor is almost new. System came with the house, have had problems with this for a couple of years.
Any ideas to help me out?
Thanks.

I would fix that sensor. 45 gpm should be gracious plenty to run an SWG.

However, you may have already decided that and are looking for advice on fixing the sensor????? Sorry, I cannot help.

I've been there, done that. Over the last few years, I've had two or three new sensors. The current sensor is less than six months old. It's the new style with the little box on the card. I cleaned it well. Already did all the board diagnostics too and everything's fine. Don't know what else to do there. I can tell you that when it's not going through solar and flow is 55 gpm, sensor works fine.

IMG_5245.jpgIMG_5246.jpg

Note that the flow sensor is the type that is on the cell. Previously, I had the separate flow sensor which was on the tee in the second picture. I had problems with flow with both setups. Also, that big "U" that the cell is on is new; we put it there to make it easier to access the cell. Again, this problem precedes placing that U there. Lastly, that heater is only used when in SPA mode and the cell is off.

The line that it is on is directly after the heater, flow goes from left to right (pool return).

View attachment 46785View attachment 46786

Note that the flow sensor is the type that is on the cell. Previously, I had the separate flow sensor which was on the tee in the second picture. I had problems with flow with both setups. Also, that big "U" that the cell is on is new; we put it there to make it easier to access the cell. Again, this problem precedes placing that U there. Lastly, that heater is only used when in SPA mode and the cell is off.

The line that it is on is directly after the heater, flow goes from left to right (pool return).

Addendum: I've noted that some other manufacturers specify a length of straight pipe before the sensor/cell. I see no such direction in the Jandy installation manual. I was having this problem before I put in that U extension to make the cell more accessible.

Isaac-1: which thought?

Azjoshers79- yes, I have a DE filter and have never paid any attention to the solar being on or not during addition of DE. It was never mentioned to me when I moved in seven years ago or by my pool guy. Anything I can do now short of major expensive work?

Addendum- my filter and grids are fine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just not sure on your setup. The solar company advised me that it can happen during recharge and they would void my warranty. Could have been something to do with the way my setup was plumbed. I really can remember, I remember the warning though. Wish I could be more help. Hope de didn't get in your panels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd be surprised if any significant amount did, they heat very effectively. However, that increase in pressure and decreased flow when solar is turned on could be caused by DE blockage. When I turn off the power to clean the filter, the solar valve automatically goes to bypass mode. Is there any way to clean the insides of those solar panels, dissolve DE?

Had my pool guy over yesterday. Looked at everything and all seems to be in order. We spent a little time and some PVC and installed a bypass with Jandy valve (and one-way device) around the solar so I can variably bypass some of the solar flow directly to the pool return in an effort to find a happy medium between heating and keeping the flow sensor happy. I also plan to get up on the roof and feel the panels for hot and cold spots which may indicate blockages up there. I read an article, regarding possible blockages from DE and other stuff, that talks about backflushing the panels - we can't figure out how to do that considering there are a number of one-way valves in the system and it would required a number of plumbing changes for access. Not even sure it would help.

I'm also going to get a new flow sensor from Jandy under warranty because even at the lowest of 45gpm, the flow sensor should be quite but happy but isn't. Anything else?

Thanks,
Russ

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.