Valve position when heating pool with heat pump

lurch

Apr 23, 2009
When heating I can open/close a valve which would either force all water through the heat pump or allow 50% to bypass it. Is there a clear advantage to forcing all water through it (ie, it heats substantially faster)? I'm assuming the increased pressure is a negative for everythinig else, and if I'm going to run this for several days straight to get the whole pool heated up, I'd prefer not to impact filtration, etc.

For the most efficient heating, you want the flow rate through the heater to be just a little below the maximum design flow rate for the heat pump. Unfortunately, what setting on the valve will get you that flow rate is tricky to determine.

My PB plumbed my heat pump so that all water flows through it, for whatever reason...but it does heat pretty well when it's on for an extended period of time...get a solar cover if you don't have one, you'll save hundreds of bucks. :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.