Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Valve position when heating pool with heat pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Valve position when heating pool with heat pump

When heating I can open/close a valve which would either force all water through the heat pump or allow 50% to bypass it. Is there a clear advantage to forcing all water through it (ie, it heats substantially faster)? I'm assuming the increased pressure is a negative for everythinig else, and if I'm going to run this for several days straight to get the whole pool heated up, I'd prefer not to impact filtration, etc.
    ~17,000 Gallons, IG-pebble, DE, SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Valve position when heating pool with heat pump

For the most efficient heating, you want the flow rate through the heater to be just a little below the maximum design flow rate for the heat pump. Unfortunately, what setting on the valve will get you that flow rate is tricky to determine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

My PB plumbed my heat pump so that all water flows through it, for whatever reason...but it does heat pretty well when it's on for an extended period of time...get a solar cover if you don't have one, you'll save hundreds of bucks.
    Todd
    --------------
    Pool: 16x36, 16,800 gal., vinyl, sand filter, SWG & AquaCal Heat Pump
    Spa: Hot Springs Sovereign, 355 gal., ozone/ion
    The most helpful tool you'll ever have for your pool:
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/

4. Back To Top    #4

Most heat pumps have a built-in bypass for excess flow, so if you're unable to determine your flow rate then I'd default to max flow to the heater to prevent any low flow / high pressure problems as described in this thread.