Newcomer here

Linn

Apr 19, 2016
California
Hi ! I'm Linn. We've had a couple of different pools earlier, now we have an indoor pool, about 27x13x5 ft. We've got four kids and they love having a pool in the house. We've gotten everything to work ok now, after a few alterations that became necessary as we'd missed a bit in the planning process - like e.g. that we had to add more floor drains to prevent the pool room from getting all flooded when the younger kids were playing.

Our pool runs on liquid chemicals with an automated system, so it's pretty easy to maintain. At times we need to check things the manual way though just to make sure the system is doing its job. So far we clean the bottom the manual way as well, but it's not that hard, as with an indoor pool we get much less dirt into it compared to when we'd an outdoor one. Our area is a bit prone to strong winds and sometimes we'd find our earlier pool full of all kinds of stuff that the wind had brought along.

I found this forum on the web and I like the idea of having a forum for pool related discussions.

Linn

What is that you say??? Young kids in a pool??????? LOTS of water coming out with all of their play and cannon balling I bet! LOL

Hi and Welcome! We would love to see a pic or two of your pool!

Could you please fill in your signature? (settings-upper right- edit signature-middle left)

Here is what to add.

Signature
Please put the following information in your signature.

The size of your pool in gallons
If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
The type of filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge) and, if you know, the brand and model of the filter.
If you know, please tell us the brand and model of the pump, and mention if is it a two speed or variable speed pump.
Date of pool build/install, particularly important if less then a year old.
What kind/model of water test kit you are using
Other significant accessories or options, such as a spa , SWG, or cleaner
Please mention if you fill the pool from a well or are currently on water restrictions

Please keep your signature to 5 lines or shorter. Everything above can be stated quit compactly. For example:
19K gal, IG vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot

Information in your signature will show up each time you post. This helps the people answering your questions by providing the basic information that affects nearly all of our recommendations.

To change your profile and/or signature, select "Settings" (top right under Pool School button). Scroll down (left side) to "My Settings" & select Edit Profile or Edit Signature.

THANKS!

Kim

Thanks all for the friendly welcome !

@Ike, no indoor pools aren't that common, but I think part of the reason is a misconception that many people have that they are so hard to maintain, that you would get all kinds of hunidity and mold problems in the house and so. Several people warned us when they heard of our plans, but with proper systems it works well. We've leared that we need to cover the pool when it's not in use. The alternative would be to keep a really low water temperature which wouldn't be our way of using a pool. But once we started covering it we've had no problems at all with humidity. We have a ventilation system and three small de-humidifiers and that works fine. The climate in the pool room is very pleasant and we've never had any trouble with the building. This pool project was started already before we owned the building, but then for urdoor use. The previous owner had built the pool shell, but without fitting pumps, filter, connections and so. His idea was to build a large patio around the pool. Unfortunately he got a severe medical problem and passed away. When we bought the property we decided to build an indoor pool by building a large room, suitable for parties and similar, and with the pool inside it. Now we have a pool that we can use year round and we're very pleased with the outcome. There are some things that we still need to fix, but in general everything works well.

@Kim: Yes I'll try to add more info about our pool, but some of that I don't know right off. As I mentioed above we bought the property with the pool partially made and several of the items, like filter, pump, heater and so were already there, even though they were not installed. Therefore I'm not certain of the brands on some of our equipment.
Yes kids can splash a LOT to say the least. And we've got a whole bunch of kids. Four of our own plus that since more than a year ago we've got my sisters five kids living with us. She and her husband had a bad car crash (a drunk driver hit them) and they have spent months in different hospitals in order to recover from their injuries. In the meantime we'v taken care of their kids and with nine kids in the house it gets quite lively... Soon after we'd completed the pool we'd a birthday party for one of the kids and noticed that things got very wet. They did their canonballs as you mentioned, they had water fights, the made waves in the pool close to tsunami size... The idea was to have the first part of their party as a regular BD party, then change into swimwear and hit the pool. But many of them pushed each other in before they even got to change so we'd all these kids going in and out of the pool, many of them with their clothes on, and the amount of water that was lost was just incredibele. I think they lowered the pool level by about an inch - which is an awful lot of water ! But they'd great fun and no harm was done. But based on that experience we added a few more floor drains, plus that we coated the ceiling with a type of water repellant paint, outdoor grade. Earlier we'd done that to the walls around the pool (the walls have tiles up to about four ft above the pool, wood above there. We thought the ceiling was high enough to be safe from splashing, but the kids proved us wrong.

One of the things that we want to improve on the pool is the cover. At the moment we have a standard plastic cover that we pull by hand, but we'd love to find some automatic pool cover so that we can open and close the pool by just hitting a switch. That would make it much easier, especially if you're by yourself (myself I quite often go swimming late at night before going to bed, I need a number of laps of exercise). The present cover is very easy to handle if you've got someone to help you but a bit tricky single-handed.

Back with more later...

Linn

WOW! 9 kids add to that a B-day party to bring in EXTRA kids! The ceiling?? They got the ceiling wet????? LOL I bet they slept real good that night!

Linn, how about you start a thread over at "Just Getting Started". In that thread you can show us pictures of your equipment. I bet someone will be able to help you figure out what you have. You can use photo bucket to link to using the img tag. We can walk you through how to do it if one of the kids can't LOL

Bless you for taking in your sister's kids. What a blessing to them you have been. :hug:

Kim :cat:

Linn - You could make a roller for your cover. I've seen some real neat ones doing a google search for diy pool cover roller. All it really takes is a few pieces of PVC and a little ingenuity. From what you've described, you guys definitely have the ingenuity.

Yes do post photos, it sounds like you have a nice indoor pool setup, my indoor pool is not attached to the house and was built mostly from moisture resistant materials, still corrosion gets to things you don't think about like light switches, etc.

Here is a link to part of my ongoing pool renovation project from a couple of years ago, My not indoor pool at the moment We would all love to see some photos of your pool

Ike

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@pabeader: Yes a roller system is one idea that we've thought of, other thoughts have been based on vertical systems where you lift the cover straight up - either simple, light ones, like an alumium framework covered with plastic, or heavy ones, like an entire floor that you can lift and that also really serves as a floor, so that you could walk or even dance on t. But the problem with the latter type of systems is that they get really heavy. It's a safety thing for one - if I'm swimming in a pool I want to be absolutely certain that somo 2000-pound poool cover won't come crashing down on me. We can't have systems based on floors or similar rolling to the sides as there is not sufficient floorspace to get that to work.

@Kim: yes that BD-party got lively to say the least - about 30 kids all in all. It got quite crowded in the pool after a while. I wish I'd fitted something to protect my ears though - the sound level got close to that of an airplane at takeoff ! We've had more such parties later on so now we know better how to handle them and the problem with lots of water on the floor in a few places is also solved. When the kids had flooded the floor it was easy to see where more drains were needed and after we'd put them in we got no more puddles.

@Ike: well so far we've not had any problems with corrosion or similar, other than if we accidentally forgot some tool or something close to the pool. We monitor the air in the room, it never gets very humid except right when we are using the pool and also then only in the area right next to the water. Our pool room is pretty large (about 1500 sqft inluding the shower room and so) compared to the pool itself (the pool occupies less than a third of the romm) which makes it easier I think. If you've got a room with an indoor pool that pretty much fills the entire room then it's most likely pretty hard to keep the humidity low enough to prevent corrosion.

As for posting pictures, I'll try to fix some but we've such bad internet connection that I must make them really low res if it shall be possible. We live in a somewhat remote area, no DSL or fibre connections, just mobile systems that get a poor signal and tend to get stuck before you can transfer anythng that is of a decent file size. When it comes to our equipment we know what the components are -like that we have a sand filter and a 1.5 hp pump, an electric heater and so on, but we don't have the brand names or type codes on some of those things. As the previous owner is dead there is nobody to ask about the systems so we've had to try to debug everything on our own and to see how to connect everything. There are some items we haven't fixed yet - like there was a huge jet-stream pump system that he (the previous owner) had started a bit on but that we don't know how the plans were in detail. It's got a huge pump system and it would be interesting if we could get it to work

I can understand about internet limitations, if you have not checked them out yet, take a look at Exede Satellite internet it is metered limiting how much streaming you can do in a month, but they now have a set of service plans (their Liberty plans) where even after reaching your monthly limit you don't get throttled down to a snails pace like their older plans did, instead you still get a somewhat useable speed. (fast enough to play you tube videos much of the time, but not stream Netflix, etc.). Also they are scheduled to launch a new satellite this summer that should more than double their capacity.

Thanks for the tip. We've not checked recently but some years ago when we lived at anotherplace we had satellite internet and it was not good at all. It was expensive and the quality of service was deplorable. Very often it would get stuck or slow down to snail speed. I think it was mainly a matter of overload - I think the service had more subscribers than what it could handle and access to the internet became a matter of luck. They might be much better today, but we've not checked into it. I remember that at that time the initial cost was really high as well.

My only complaint about Exede is they nickel and dime you for everything on the install, as I recall my free install ended up costing nearly $150 to run the wire through the attic instead of stapled along the exterior of the wall, plus fishing it down a wall by way by tying it onto the old abandoned antenna wire and pulling it through. Basically $120 for an extra 15-20 minutes worth of work, I forget what the extra $30 was, but it was also something fairly trivial. Performance is much much better than I had seen with other satellite internet services at relatives houses in the past. I can't really blame the installer though, nice enough guy, but I think he made nearly all his money from the upgrades over the basic install. In the case of my installation, it was his 7th install of the day, he had 3 more scheduled and it was nearly 4 pm when he was done with mine, plus he lived 100+ miles away. My only other complaints are signal drop out almost any time it rains at moderate levels or above, not just in extremely heavy rain like directv and occasionally the satellite modem will hang and have to be rebooted (about once per month).

Ike

@Ike, yeah it could be that the systems are much better now, but dop-outs will of course be a problem. That sounds like what we have right now with the poor mobile service - frequent short interuptions and in many cases it seems like Windows 10 can't handle that - the system locks up and quite often I have to restart the computer in order to get it to work again.

On another note, I posted to some other threads, but one issue I didn't know where it could belong, about how to prepare our pool for a special event (post prom party) , so I put it in the getting started group. Eight or wrong ?