Need to replace bullet style filter

mverga

Apr 20, 2013
We have a Posi-Flo bullet style filter that is rusting out. We patched it with waterproof tape, but it is a band aid and we need to replace it.

We are being directed by our pool store to go with a Clean and Clear Plus 420 SF filter. There will need to be a lot of re-plumbing to fit this larger filter into the space and the installed price quote is over $1400.

We are wondering if we need to go with the 420 SF filter? The sticky note for this forum seemed to indicate that we want a minimum of 225 SF.

We clean the current filter every 2-3 months, more if there is a lot of debris coming from neighbor's trees and hedges. Less in winter. We cover the pool with a solar cover from about April-October as we are inland in the SF Bay Area and it is usually in the 80s and 90s in the warm months. It was 90 today!

The rest of our pool info is in my signature.

Meg

Hello Meg and welcome to TFP! In some cases, we go with a more modest sized filter because of limited space, money, and/or simply don't receive the debris as much as some locations that warrant a large filtration area. If you looked at the filter for my pool (link below), you might say the same thing. Some of the larger filters are valuable because they allow users to space-out their cleaning further apart. That's probably the #1 convenience, because once your pool is maintained properly by TFP methods, the filtration works much better.

Finally, remember that anything in the pool store is marked-up significantly. Even my own cartridge filters are almost double the price than what I buy through Amazon. So keep that in mind as well. If you or a friend has some basic PVC (DIY) skills and doesn't mind taking some time to cut and glue plastic pipes, you might be able to install a better filter for almost half of what they are suggesting.

Hope that helps. Let us know if you have more questions.

That is a big price. So you can get that filter for 800 on the interweb and I bet several pool guys would install for $200 or so. You are talking the bay area so the prices are high.

Yes you need that big a filter. With that filter you will clean it about twice per year.

Troublefree pools have large filters.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.